Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

DP

November 3rd, 2006 13:00

How to erase HPA?

My question is simple. How can I erase the HPA?

Thank you.

9.3K Posts

November 3rd, 2006 15:00

Could you provide a bit more detail?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hpa doesn't really give a clear indication what HPA would be. There's mention of High Performance Addressing on LCDs, but it's for traditional LCDs and it doesn't apply to TFT (modern) LCDs.

2.5K Posts

November 3rd, 2006 21:00

HPA - Hidden Protected Area, a non-DOS partition used to store original system files necessary to restore the system to its out of the box (factory) condition.  AKA the Recovery Partition.

Google "remove Dell HPA partition" and you'll find links to several utilities that will remove it and free up the space.

Dave

November 3rd, 2006 22:00

Thank you Dave.

Now I want to now if it's posible to boot the hpa with another boot loader like Book Magic o lilo.

Best regards

623 Posts

November 4th, 2006 20:00

Slight correction to Dave's reply:  The HPA is where Dell stores the MediaDirect partition, not the restore partition.  Both are hidden from the user in normal operation (when XP is booted), but different techniques are used to hide each.

Deleting the HPA (ie, reclaiming its disk space for other uses) is completely different from retaining MediaDirect and booting it with a third-party boot manager.  Both tasks are possible, though both are delicate technical operations that must be done carefully.  Neither should be attempted by the average non-technical user.

(Diego, I'll respond with more details to your private email msg.)

Dan Goodell

7 Posts

May 2nd, 2007 13:00

To Dan Goodall - Would you be so kind as to list the steps necessary to erase the HPA (hidden) file, in order to upgrade from an 80 gb to a larger HDD for a Dell Inspiron computer with MediaDirect. I have no use for the MediaDirect function and have eliminated the partition specific for MediaDirect. I have viewed your suggestions for restoring the DSR function and have created the .iso image on CD to run DSRFix... but I have not yet been able to figure our how to eliminate the HPA partition, so that the new HDD with boot with the 100 gb capacity. Thank you.

623 Posts

May 3rd, 2007 00:00

" ... list the steps necessary to erase the HPA (hidden) file, in order to upgrade from an 80 gb to a larger HDD for a Dell Inspiron computer with MediaDirect."

First of all, understand that there are different versions of MediaDirect, and not all use a HPA.  Readers should not assume that just because they have MediaDirect that means they must also have a HPA.

You stated, "[I have] eliminated the partition specific for MediaDirect."  Since it's extremely difficult--and impossible for the average layman--to erase a partition from a HPA, your comment suggests you may not be dealing with a HPA-resident MD partition.  (Or perhaps you deleted the DSR partition, thinking it was the MD partition?)

A Dsrfix summary report will provide clues as to whether you probably do or probably don't have a HPA.

If you are sure you have a HPA, then you need to zero out LBA-3.  The process is adequately covered in this thread:

If you haven't done your cloning yet, see post #48.

"I have not yet been able to figure our how to eliminate the HPA partition, so that the new HDD [will] boot with the 100 gb capacity."

Don't worry about the HPA.  It's not going to get cloned to the 100GB anyway, even if you wanted it to.  All you need to worry about is making sure LBA-3 doesn't get cloned.  That's what cripples the new hard disk, not the HPA.

Dan Goodell

No Events found!