Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 13th, 2013 09:00

How to improve compatibility with GoPro Black camera

I received a GoPro Black camera for Christmas and cannot seem to get my Dell XPS 15z to play my videos correctly.  What can I do to improve the playback of my video's taken with the GoPro?

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

April 13th, 2013 11:00

Hi codavis,

Dell XPS 15z (L511z) is equipped with NVidia’s Optimus technology. I would like to know if you are playing the GoPro camera videos in a normal player or you using GoPro camera video player software.

If you are using GoPro camera video player software then assign the GoPro application to NVidia Graphics Processor, it can done by following the below steps.

1. Open the NVIDIA Control Panel.
  2. Select Manage 3D Settings.
  3. Click on the Program Settings tab
  4. In 1:Select a program to customize:- click on Add
  5. Browse to the application / game and open the executable file by clicking Open
  6. In 2:Select the preferred graphics processor for this program- click on the tab and select High Performance NVIDIA processor
  7. Click on Apply and the settings will be saved.

Please let me know if this helps.

5 Posts

April 15th, 2013 06:00

Ravi,

I’ve been unsuccessfully trying to use the two programs that were loaded with my Dell:  Microsoft Media Player and Windows Live Movie Maker.  In both instances the playback is extremely “glitchy”, seems to be jumping frames and the audio and video are not in sync.

FYI, I’m shooting at 720P HD at 120fps. 

I bought this computer because of it’s description on handling graphics and multimedia and I’m shocked it can’t handle the GoPro.  While I searched their site for a
video player software, (one did not come with the camera) I found only what looks like a “movie maker” editing program – which I guess I could download and
try….BUT, in reality I shouldn’t have to have a special program to view video of any kind.  I’m able to see HD video on YouTube just fine with my current programs so I’m totally not understanding why my own HD video’s won’t play….let alone edit.

Please advise.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

April 18th, 2013 10:00

Hi codavis,

I would like you to perform the steps 1 & 2 from the link below and let us know about the progress.

http://dell.to/Z0E6yr

5 Posts

April 20th, 2013 19:00

Ravi,

I clicked on the link many times and it keeps taking me to a general Dell page and I've searched this page everywhere looking for steps 1& 2...and Sorry, but I cannot find what you refer to above.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

April 21st, 2013 20:00

Hi codavis,

Sorry for the inconvenience. Please perform the steps 1 & 2 from the link below and let us know about the progress.

http://bit.ly/11uZt8y

Please let me know if this helps

5 Posts

April 22nd, 2013 07:00

Ravi, 

Clicked on the link and it takes me to the GoPro site.  I’ve already been there and have reviewed the information and I also have in contact with them on certain points to resolve,this incompatibility issue. 

The reason I contacted DELL was to find out WHY this very,expensive “multimedia” laptop does not have the level of technology in place to handle current technology AND……given that fact, what can DELL do about improving my laptop – that is only just over a year and a half old -  to be able to
handle today’s technology?

For playback of this GoPro:  I have more than enough RAM (6G  vs. GoPro 4G);   It seems I have enough video capability (NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M 1GB graphics with Optimus  vs.  GoPro: NVDIA GeForce GT 650);   SO WHY WOULD A COMPUTER MADE FOR MULTIMEDIA HAVE SUCH LOW initial GHz in relation to the technology out there?  (2nd generation Intel Core i5-2410M processor 2.30 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 2.90 GHz).. Why am I able to playback high res video on You Tube but not off my GoPro?

1)     What will DELL do to improve the GHz in my computer so it
can handle the “multimedia’ it was touted to be able to handle?

2)    
AND…..how do I tap
into the “turbo boost” option to increase my GHz to 2.9 which “should accommodate
playback of the lower resolution video’s.

While I also see that Windows Media Player cannot handle GoPro video in resolutions higher than 720p/120fps, I noted in my earlier response to you that I have been taking video at the 720p/120fps resolution and the GoPro video STILL will not play back in Windows Media Player.  Please advise what can be done to correct this.

In addition, the VLC Media Player GoPro recommends using is actually noted on the DELL sight with a warning NOT to use this player and that downloading this program could be cause for voiding out the DELL warranty.  So obviously downloading the GoPro recommended VLC media player is also NOT an option.

In summary, it has been extremely frustrating to recently find out that my 1 ½ YEAR-OLD DELL cannot handle today’s technology  - especially my GoPro.  I am not in a position to continue buying computers every year and I expected the $1200 I paid for this computer would have at least had the ability to handle technology for 3 – 5 years. 

Please advise what DELL WILL DO to improve the compatibility of my laptop with my GoPro. 

Thank you.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

April 22nd, 2013 08:00

The Go pro is not a dell product and Mhz is not a measure of performance its a myth.

2.0 Ghz core I5 duo is much faster than 3.8Ghz single core netburst pentium 4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=uIkT86yqCZk

L1 cache 128 KB (code) / 128 KB (data) 12K micro-ops (trace) / 8 KB (data)
L2 cache (KB) 1024 512
L3 cache (KB) 6144  
Max temperature (°C) 72.6 75

Cores 4 1
Threads 4 1
Multiprocessing 1  

5 Posts

April 23rd, 2013 07:00

OK....I got the above post emailed to me 4 TIMES.  I got that part.  Did not know that a 2.0GH in an i5 duo core is faster than 3.8GHz single core.  GOT IT.

Now, can you please address the other questions/concerns  mentioned in my earlier response: 

• Confirm that the video card in the Dell meets or exceeds the requirements of the GoPro
  • Confirm that the RAM meets or exceeds the GoPro requirements
  • Address the issue that I’m recording this in 720p/12ofps and Windows Live Media play still will not play it smoothly,
  • Address the issue that GoPro recommends the VLC Media Player – which is prohibited by DELL and grounds for voiding out the DELL warranty -  by
    providing me the names of other media players I could download to play the GoPro video’s

By furnishing me with the detail surrounding the above information, I can then make a stronger case when communicating with GoPro

Thank You.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

April 26th, 2013 23:00

Hi codavis,

The RAM and Video card of your system are meeting the requirements. I would like to know if you have directly connected the micro SD card onto the system’s card reader and checked if the videos are choppy.

Also, The problem lies with the codec; the method of COmpressing and DECompressing the footage. The GoPro cameras use some clever methods to compress the footage very heavily. I would advise you to install the Avid Codecs or MPEG Streamclip video converter to convert the videos.

You can refer to the link below for converting the GoPro videos using the MPEG Streamclip on mac system, you can replicate the same steps on Windows system for issue resolution.

http://bit.ly/15O2t5k

Please let me know if this helps.

1 Message

August 6th, 2013 09:00

Have you tried using PowerDVD13?

This product already supports a wide variety of codecs and formats and therefore no additional conversion would be required.  The codecs are also commercially developed so they are optimized for the best performance with True Theater Technology and can play up to 4K resolution.

I hope this helps. 

Regards,

CyberLink User

2 Posts

October 20th, 2017 01:00

HI,

I am late, I think you can set some parameters of gopro video like bitrate, encoder. Well, this page maybe helpful www.videoconverterfactory.com/.../compress-gopro-video.html, good luck

No Events found!