Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 13th, 2016 09:00

How to make Precision 5510/XPS13/XPS15 boot from network?

Hi.

I have several Precision 5510/XPS15/XPS13 laprops.

For now, when re-imaging them, I use a Winpe USB flash drive, which loads Acronis, which connects through USB Type C to LAN adapter to the storage server, and loads the OS image from there.

Other laptops (like Dell Latitude or HP ProBook, which have built in Ethernet), boot from the PXE server directly, either in legacy or UEFI mode, so no problem there.

The issue is, that I want to make the Ethernet-less Dell laptops boot from the network using USB to LAN dongle. How can I do that?

Is there some way to open EFI shell, so I can access the network from there? Because I didn't find the Ethernet adapter in boot options, and the "Enable EFI network stack" doesn't do anything.

If it helps, I'm using STLab USB 3.0-C to Gigabit Ethernet adapter.

Thank you kindly for the answer.

Vadim.

July 12th, 2016 12:00

You need to "Enable Thunderbolt Boot Support". You can find this setting under System Configuration > USB/Thunderbolt Configuration. If you want to UEFI PXE boot, then you also need to "Enable UEFI Network Stack". This setting can be found under General > Advanced Boot Options (disable the "Enable Legacy Option ROMs" while there if you want native UEFI). After you do this, then you should see "USB NIC(IPV4)" and "USB NIC(IPV6)" under UEFI BOOT when you press F12 and the USB-C Ethernet adapter is plugged in and connected to the network.

@miketerrill

2 Posts

July 13th, 2016 08:00

Hey, it worked, thanks a lot!

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

June 13th, 2016 16:00

Vadim, 

If you haven't tried it yet connect the USB - C to Ethernet adapter to the notebook. When you are at the F12 boot options screen do you see the option for USB storage device?  If so select that and if everything else is configured correctly the PXE boot process should start. 

Please let me know if you continue to have problems and I will be happy to research this further. 

TB

1 Message

June 28th, 2016 02:00

Hi Terry

I have the same problem with a Precision 5510. Connected the USB-C to Ethernet Adapter, but don't have a USB storage device in the F12 boot options screen. Neither Legacy or UEFI ...
(BIOS Rev. 01.02.00)

Ideas?

Thanks, Benno

26 Posts

August 4th, 2016 03:00

I managed to get the "USB NIC(IPV4)"  option showing up changing the BIOS settings as you advised but now when the PXE boot starts it hangs on "Start PXE over IPv4" and there is an amber light on the USB-C Ethernet adapter.

I can PXE boot fine other models. Any ideas?

August 10th, 2016 13:00

I was able to get PXE IPV4 and 6 as options, but when I select v4 it goes to Support Assist.  Am I missing something?

August 31st, 2016 16:00

If you are using Configuration Manager and are trying to boot 'known' systems, then you might need to update your USB-C NICs to enable the MAC address pass through feature:

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

1 Message

June 2nd, 2017 01:00

same happened with me too, run into diagnostic test and then shut down, please help

Thanks in advance.

1 Message

September 11th, 2017 07:00

Found solution.  Make sure Legacy Boot is enabled.

Go to Thunderbolt Adapter Configuration and make sure the boxes are checked for: Enable Thunderbolt Technology Support, Enable Thunderbolt Adapter Boot Support, and Enable Thunderbolt Adapter Pre-boot Modules.

Reboot, F12 , then you will be able to boot to "USB NIC" under Legacy Boot.

No Events found!