Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

1 Message

June 1st, 2004 15:00

How to repair cracks in screen (plastic casing) of an Inspiron 2650?

Some time ago, I noticed that a crack had appeared in the plastic (?)  casing of the screen of my Inspiron 2650.  The crack is +/- 5 cm long, starting from the left side, and situated 2,5 - 0,5 cm above the left hinge (the one connected one on one side, contrary to the double-sided right-hinge).   I checked with dell warranty, but they claimed that this was not covered by warranty.  Since, I heard some people with similar problems.

A few people suggested I glue the crack with a super-glue, and then reinforce the casing over the crack using glass-fibre-enforced tape.  is there anybody who can say what type of glue is OK?  is dual-component epoxy OK for the type of plastic that the screen casing is made from?

Thanks in advance,

Rudi Dierick

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 1st, 2004 16:00

Basically, permanent repairs on that type of plastic are just about impossible - you need to replace the plastic piece.

1 Message

November 7th, 2004 01:00

Unfortunatley, mine did the exact same thing. It actually did it on the other hinge too and I take proper care of my laptop and I purchased a dell backpack! Oh well, I can't afford to have it fixed so I used jb-weld to stop the cracks from getting worse. it holds up well but it is a major eyesore. Make sure to give it 12 to 24 hours to setup before you move/use it.

1 Message

January 16th, 2005 20:00

I have found my case is alsocracking in the same place.

As all here I also treat my computer as my baby ?

Whats up Dell for not replacing it under waranty, obviously it is outside the dates but it must be a fault in the design ?

2 Posts

July 7th, 2011 12:00

so how much will it cost sir and the customer care is saying that dell doesnt provide casing u hav to take it from third party.so do u know any options avaliable

9 Posts

July 7th, 2011 17:00

Pick up a cheap lid on ebay, you would have to swap you lcd panel etc over into the new lid casing.

Dell have good service manuals online showing how things like that can be done.

If your worried ask a local computer shop if they will do it for you if you supply the part, for a cost obviously.

No Events found!