Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 23rd, 2011 01:00

How to setup Studio XPS 16/ATI HD3670 output 5.1 sound via HDMI to theater systems ????

i have a Studio xps 1640 / Windows Vista 64 / ATI HD3670 / IDT video card ,I bought it almost 2 years ago. and i recently purchased a HDTV and a SONY ss370 theater systems.i connect TV / XPS / receiver via HDMI cables and video on TV has no problem at all , but i can only get 2 speakers playing sound .  i upgraded all my HDMI / IDT drivers , i also did alot reseach online and tried everything but still couldnt get them to work.  can anyone please check my issue and see if anyone able to help me ?

THANKS !

here is what i got so far .

1 click on  "play back devices" option:

once i click on "Configure" it shows me only the "Stereo" option , dont even have a option for 5.1 , is there suppose to be a driver or something can make that option here ?

if i click "Next" it gives me :

as u can see , the "Surround Speakers" option is gray i cant even click on it .

BUT if i get in the "HDMi output" properties :

then i click on "supported formats" ,  i CAN run "DTS Audio" and "Dolby Digital" tests with no problem , i got clear sound come from my all 6 speakers ,which means they work just fine .

here is what i got if i go to IDT setup :

still cant find any setting about 5.1 .

and i did update the IDT sound driver too , but it still doesnt work on the HDMI setup , there is no way i can get it working ,  can anyone help me with this problem ?    if you have anyone questions about my system / laptop please let me know ,Thank you very much !!!

ps: sorry for my poor English and thanks for ur patience to read the whole post of mine .  

1 Message

June 24th, 2011 21:00

i had the same problem recently. i thought i would never figure it out but it turned out to be a very simple solution. you need to go into windows media centre setup and go to the speaker set up settings. it will show you options for 5.1. then you need to go into the dvd settings in windows media centre and disable auto volume and make sure theatre mode is selected. that should do the trick. if you connect your laptop to your receiver it should output 5.1. all you need now is a program that is capable of outputting 5.1 to a receiver. i use vlc player personally which i think is the best. to set up 5.1 properly in vlc player do the following. go into vlc player then tools, preferences audio. select output type as win32 waveout. make sure use spdif when available is selected. make sure force detection of dolby digital is auto. you should be able to play any movie file or dvd now with true 5.1. vlc player won't play blu rays though. you should download power dvd ultra for that. hope this helps

No Events found!