Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

August 11th, 2009 07:00

I moved fonts to my desktop and can't reinstall them

I am running XP Pro and Office 2007 on a Dell Latitude D830. For reasons I won't go into (other than being stupid), I dragged some fonts from my Windows/Fonts folder to my desktop. Most fonts allow me to do this and then drag them back. That's not true with "GlobalMonospace.CompositeFont," "GlobalSansSerif.CompositeFont", "GlobalSerif.CompositeFont", and "GlobalUserInterface.CompositeFont".  When I try to drag them back to Windows/Fonts, I get the message: "Unable to install the font - File "GlobalSansSerif.CompositeFont" is either invalid or damaged."  The symptoms I've noticed so far are that typihg in the body of an Outlook email, as well as "Notes" text in Outlook Tasks and Contacts, comes out extremely small. It still claims to be Arial 10 pt, but it displays more like 6 pts. or less. Can anyone tell me how to get those fonts re-installed? Thanks

60 Posts

August 11th, 2009 09:00

Installing new fonts

1. Close any open Windows applications, such as Microsoft Word or Microsoft Outlook®.
  2. In Control Panel, click Appearance and Themes.

Note  If you are using Control Panel Classic view or Microsoft Windows 2000, double-click Fonts, and then go to step 4.

3. In the task pane, under See Also, click Fonts.

Note  If a folder tree appears instead of the task pane, click Folders on the toolbar, and then under See Also, click Fonts.

4. On the File menu, click Install New Font.
  5. In the Drives list, click the drive you want.
  6. In the Folders list, double-click the folder that contains the fonts you want to add.
  7. Under List of fonts, click the font you want to add, and then click OK.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word/HA010947421033.aspx

5 Posts

August 11th, 2009 10:00

Thank you, but I tried the steps you suggested before creating my post. Everything works (with slight variations since I'm XP Pro) until I get to Step 7. No fonts appear in "List of fonts" window.  Could it be because all of the ones I want end in "*.CompositeFont" instead of the more typical font extensions?

1 Message

November 18th, 2009 19:00

These .CompositeFont files are apparently installed with the .NET framework 3.0 or later. Go to Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs, and reinstall the most recent listed version of the .NET framework and you should see these four files reappear in your Fonts folder.

No Events found!