Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

19 Posts

May 20th, 2005 03:00

I need help with Dealing with DELL Technical Support

Long time ago when I was dealing with Dell Tech support it was great. This WAS one of the reasons that I purchased a DELL. I even got the service contract.

It seems to have gone down the toilet since my last purchase.

This note is specifically on the service portion of DELL. Ordering is a whole OTHER bad experience.

Here is the situation ...

My DVD drive keeps thikning that I have placed a new disc in the drive, all I want is an answer or a replacement drive.

I try the on-line chat where I'm supposed to be able to get help "quickly" The on-line people refuse to help me and tell me to call my support question in.

I call and the extention number that I was given "18006249896 x66955" doesnt work. So I have to call again. I call again and I get transfered to the sales deparment, they ask me for my service code, address, name, phone number. She finds that she cannot help me so she transfers me to "tech support". This tech support lady asks for all of my informaiton, then tells me she cannot help me with an XPS system, and she will have to transfer me yet again. I ask her for a direct number and she replies, "There is no specific number and I have to just call in and get transfered" So I try again and I was told that the service center is closed?!!!!!!

I am currently on my fourth call to get someone from tech support. The automated system is horrible, and I cant get anyone! I thought that I was supposed to get award winning support?

Now this letter will probably get removed from this forum but I want to see if other people have the same problems, and maybe just maybe get hold of someone where I can ask a question.

so far I havent seen any support on my XPS Laptop!

Bottom line, how do I get someone at DELL to talk to me about the Laptop that is supposed to be warrantied, get specialized Tech support, and I would think help me since I bought the service plan.

robert

19 Posts

May 20th, 2005 04:00

I'll post the actual problem here soon, since the actual phone people couldnt help. . . . . they are blaming software on the problem, and that they wont help me with. They said that the software isnt covered under the warranty.

This could also mean that the dell support people could also simply say it is a software issue then not give support!

The lady also said that she was going to get her manager to talk to me, then came back on the phone and said he wasnt going to talk to me. I told her that I understood that the managers dont want to deal with the customer, and I understood that, and then I just hung up. If you are going to tell me that you are going to get your manager to talk to me ... then do so! Obviously this meant that he didnt have the time or the need to take the call.

r

174 Posts

May 20th, 2005 04:00

To me this is unexceptable!!! Goods are sold and poor services provided. I think Dell Moderator have to take a look on this message.

3.2K Posts

May 20th, 2005 15:00

What I would like to know is just how do you know the CD/DVD drive THINKS it has a CD inserted? What happens to tell you the CD/DVD drive is looking for a disk???

158 Posts

May 20th, 2005 15:00

You may get more help if you post under the customer care board. It's monitored by Dell reps who can help you.

Pam

19 Posts

May 20th, 2005 17:00

Because I'm just sitting at work and the prompt comes up asking what action to take ... Like when you just place a different disc in the drive. But I'm not doing anything with the drive whatsoever. It seems like it is reinitializing.

rE

3.2K Posts

May 20th, 2005 19:00

Sounds like the OS is f.u.b.a.r (fouled up beyond all repair) not the hardware. No matter what make or model CD drive is installed it is the OS that is causing that prompt. Might be time to back up your files and format the HDD then reinstall the OS.

651 Posts

June 3rd, 2005 07:00

I have had the best luck with e-mail. Chat is always busy and the phone.....well, you have described the story.

If it is under warranty, they need to give you an answer.

Be sure to write exactly what the symptoms are. Exact messages you see, when you see them. Be complete but concise. "Don't say "my drive thinks it is getting a new disk". Or "I need a new drive"

Those are conclusions. Some support people will start with your conclusion and often it takes them in the wrong direction. Let them do the thinking, you do the reporting of facts.

An advantage to e-mail is you can read and re-read it. If it is clear that the person misunderstood, you have a persons address to write back to. Although, if that person is not available, someone else will answer within 24-48 hours.

It beats waiting on the phone forever.

Anyway, that has been my experience.

John

1 Message

November 29th, 2012 15:00

I still have fixed my Hp Audio sound and I need reinstalling the system....Ok

No Events found!