Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 18th, 2013 23:00

INSPIRON E1505 USB NOT WORKING AFTER UPGRADING TO WINDOWS 8.1

I upgraded my Dell Inspiron E1505 PC to Windows 8.1 - now one of the usb drivers don't work , when I plug in a flash drive my PC shuts down. It was  working on Windows 8 ,I don't know what happened, maybe I lost the driver/file ? There is nothing on the device manager that shows there is a problem.  Originally my pc had Windows XP , then I upgraded to Windows 7 , then I dual booted w/ Windows 8, I took off Windows 7 , reinstalled Windows 8  everything was working good , but a after upgrading to Windows 8.1 , one of my USB ports don't work. Also, I deleted some Old Windows files. Well,

hopefully there is a solution. Additionally, when I use the Dell Diagnostics - for hardware-USB, when I plug in a flash drive for testing, my PC just shuts

down. 

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 19th, 2013 03:00

SUMMER100,

When you installed the operating system, did you install the Dell System Software(if applicable) and the chipset drivers first? If not, the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

Start with the Dell System Software and the chipset drivers and follow the list.

Rick

4 Posts

November 19th, 2013 04:00

I think alll the drivers were up to date , everything was working ok after windows 8 if the the PC shuts down when I insert a flashdrive - what drivers 

firmware would I have to update ? Everything seems ok under the device manager - the drivers on the dell site just update the DVD - I don't see any updating the USB except the Ricoh one , which I did- & all the drivers are for windows XP - not  windows 8 /8.1 . I  will check the site you you mentioned  , thanks

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 19th, 2013 09:00

SUMMER100,

The Dell System Software and the chipset drivers know what is attached to your system. The Ricoh drivers are only for your memory card.

Look in the device manager, see if there are any yellow exclamation marks. Click on update driver. If the drivers do not update, then click on details, select Hardware ID and copy that number, then post in the drivers request stickie at the top of the Dell Microsoft OS Forum

Rick

4 Posts

November 20th, 2013 02:00

Initially , everything was ok under device manager- then it was recommended that I download intel chipset for windows 8.1 , I did it didn't help usb problem 

but now I do have exclamation marks under device manager - under USB - do I just  post them ( hardware Id ) on the forum ? Where is the stickies?  I tried installing the dell system  software - but it wasn't compatabile w/ my PC

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 20th, 2013 15:00

SUMMER100,

Tell them the make and model of your computer and operating system, 32-bit or 64-bit

The post the Hardware ID's

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/t/19523874.aspx

Rick

No Events found!