Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 28th, 2012 03:00

INTERMITTENT LCD FLASHING

Hi there guys,

I'm having an annoying issue with the screen on my new Inspiron 17R.

At irregular intervals, varying from a few hours to a couple of days, the LCD (backlighting?) flashes extremely bright white, for maybe 1/10th second.  As that happens, any text or images disappear from the screen, so the screen is totally white.

After this happens, the screen returns to normal.  The LCD and/or back-lighting is otherwise working fine, although it very occasionally flickers slightly but noticeably for 10 or 15 seconds.  As far as I know, all my drivers are up to date, and the DELL solutions centre offers no help.  Altering the screen position and/or flexing the hinges has no effect.  It happens on both battery and mains power.

Hoping someone can help.

TIA,  Geoff.,

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

November 28th, 2012 03:00

Hi ausGeoff,

Please check in the BIOS page does the same problem occurs, Also run the LCD BIST test in the system to check the LCD is working as designed. Follow the steps below.

Turn the computer off >restart the computer

At the Dell logo screen, start tapping the F12 key a few times until you see the ‘One Time Boot Menu’ appear.

At the one time boot menu press the down arrow key to highlight ‘Diagnostic’, then press Enter to begin the PSA diagnostics.

You will soon see different colors on the screen; at this point please press ‘N’ which will begin the LCD BIST Test. This test will help us to identify, if there is any issues with the LCD.

The screen will display multiple flashing colors. If you observe any blurry video, distortion and or any lines on your screen, we are not looking whether the test is passed or failed. Please check the LCD flickers and the white screen is appearing during the test. Also try connecting a known good monitor and check that the problem occurs.

Please do reply for further assistance.

58 Posts

November 28th, 2012 05:00

Hi Senthil,

Thank you for getting back to me re my LCD screen.

I ran the tests as you suggested, and all were "passed".  There was no flickering at any stage, but there appeared to be a couple of extremely brief, bright white flashes - after confirming that the coloured bars appeared  OK - soon after the testing screen opened.  There were no lines/blurring/distortion at any stage of the test.

Unfortunately, I don't have access to another monitor to check the laptop.

Thanks again,

Geoff.

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

December 17th, 2012 09:00

Hi ausGeoff,

I am sorry for the delayed response, since the LCD BIST test passed in the system; you can try updating the video driver. Please use the link below to download the video driver. 

http://dell.to/Qnizfs 

In this link please punch in the system service tag or express service code and choose the appropriate operating system, under the video driver please select the video driver which your computer has and 

then install the drivers. In case the issue persists, please send me the system service tag; I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag so I may check the region/country from where the system was purchased and assist you accordingly. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

58 Posts

January 17th, 2013 11:00

Hi again Senthil,

I never received your PM, so I'm unable to give you my service tag number.

I'm still having intermittent back-lighting problems with the occasional bright flashes (from a pure white screen), and low-level, irregular flickering when the unit is running on battery.

Additionally, my numeric keypad sometimes turns itself off at reboot, and I'm also having issues with the cursor randomly moving about the screen intermittently when I'm typing (which seems dependent on the space bar?).

Despite upgrading the touch-pad drivers, I still cannot turn it off, despite doing so on its control panel.

Overall, I'm very disappointed with this laptop, particularly considering the number of minor but annoying faults its presenting with.  Can you please advise me as to whether I'm eligible for a replacement and/or refund.

Thank you kindly.

Geoff.

58 Posts

January 30th, 2013 13:00

Have now managed to activate the touchpad controls, but I'm still having issues with the bright white flashes, and the irregular, low-level flickering on battery power.  And now the NUM lock has started to turn itself ON and/or OFF at random intervals!  Woe is me.

—And I'm STILL disappointed I bought a DELL.  :emotion-6:

Geoff.

58 Posts

February 3rd, 2013 17:00

The low-level flickering on battery power was sorted out by the DELL agent in India.  Thank you Arak.

But the intermittent bright white flashes are still occurring occasionally.  Sometimes the screen will be okay for 3 or 4 days, but then suddenly its starts this flashing, maybe once or twice in a single hour.

It's more than a little disconcerting to have what amounts to a camera flashgun go off in your face from 50cm away!

And the NUM lock issue is still hanging around (but it's more of an annoyance rather than a major disaster).  Still shouldn't be happening with a $1300 laptop though.

No Events found!