Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

November 23rd, 2008 12:00

Image Restore Help!

SO i got a brand new Dell XPS M1530 laptop last week. Yesterday, i download iTunes and suddenly, Windows cant load. I don;t want to deal with reinstalling everything manually, so can anyone give a little help as to how you start a complete image restore? I tries the steps on Dell's help site, but i don't see a "reapair system" option in the Advanced Boot Options menu.

Can anyone give me a push in the right direction?

109 Posts

November 23rd, 2008 13:00

when the Dell Splash screen appears, hit CTRL + F11 for system restore.

3.4K Posts

Hello,

This page should help.

Already tried that page.

The problem is that when i use f8 to load up the advance options menu, there is no "Repair Your Computer" option.

And to apkobl:

Ctrl + f11 doesn't do anything for me at the splash screen.

4.6K Posts

November 25th, 2008 01:00

The quickest/easiest thing to do, would be a 'System Restore' - to just before you installed iTunes 8 :emotion-55:

But you can boot from the OS disc Dell sent, and use the 'Repair' option if a System Restore doesn't work for some reason.

7 Posts

December 15th, 2008 17:00

Hi - new to the forum and have a question very much like the original in this thread.  I have a B120.  Dell never saw fit to send a factory restore disk, but does have a hidden partition on the hd with the image.  Control+F11 at the splash screen does nothing.  F8 brings up the Windows XP advanced startup options.  None of this gets me anywhere near the restore function and I would hate to lose everything that came with this laptop by doing a reinstall of XP SP2 (which is my last option).  Anyone have any suggestions as to how to get at that restore function so I can bring it back to OEM state?  Thanks - and sorry if this has been covered elsewhere on the forum - as I said, I'm new here and having a somewhat difficult time getting around on this one (boy, whoever set this up sure doesn't seem to understand forum construction! Just MHO)....

3.4K Posts

December 15th, 2008 17:00

Hello,

I don't know of a B120 system model.

Here is a full listing of Dell models. If you could point your out it will help.

3.4K Posts

December 16th, 2008 08:00

Hello again,

This 37MB PDF file shows how to use the Dell restore on page 77.

But if you have already tried pressing the Ctrl and the F11 key at the same time during boot, and you do not get the restore option, I suggest that the image is corrupt and can not be fixed.

You can order a reinstallation disk from Dell here for free. Just make sure that you follow the Dell required order of install listed below ...

Note: Some devices may not function properly if the drivers are installed out of order.

Install your version of Windows.

Install the following software and drivers in the order listed below.

***** 1.***** Desktop System Software (DSS) or Notebook System Software (NSS) - A vital utility that provides critical updates and patches for the operating system. If you are reinstalling the operating system or updating all the computer’s drivers, it is imperative that this software be installed first.
This is located under the System and Configuration Utilities Category on the Drivers and Downloads page. The DSS or NSS may not be required for some systems that shipped with Windows Vista installed. If your download page has a DSS or NSS file, "It is required".
2. Chipset - Helps Windows control system board components and controllers. This is located under the Chipset Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
3. Video Adapter - Enhances video performance. This is located under the Video Adapter Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
4. Network Interface Card (NIC) - Enhances the network controller for Internet or network access. This is located under the Network Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
5. Audio Adapter - Enables and enhances the audio controller. This is located under the Audio Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
6. Modem - Allows dialup capability. This is located under the Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
7. Wireless Network Card - Enables and enhances the wireless network controller. This is located under the Network Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
8. Touchpad, Pointer, Trackstick, Mice, and Keyboards - Enhances the pointing device features. This is located under the Mouse & Keyboards Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
9. Other Devices
* Bluetooth Module
This is located under the Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
* Dell Wireless Mobile Broadband Cards
This is located under the Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
* PCMCIA/Smartcard controller
This is located under the Security Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

Dell drivers and downloads page http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/. Input your service tag number to get the required drivers for your system, 'as shipped'.

NOTE: If your system download page offers a DSS or NSS file in the 'System and Configuration Utilities' Category. And you have already tried to install some drivers, you will need to reboot in Safe Mode to install the DSS or NSS file, and the chipset. Then reboot the system and install the rest of the drivers in the correct order.

7 Posts

December 16th, 2008 08:00

Hi.  The B120 is listed under the following:

Dell™ Inspiron™ 1300/B120/B130

It's a fairly basic model and, as I said, I'm just looking to get at that hidden partition on the hd.  Seems Dell sort of forgot to send along a ystem restore disk and didn't make this partition available through any means I can see ( + at the splash screen has no effect and only brings up the Windows boot options). 

Anyway, if you have some alternatives here, I sure would appreciate them.... 

7 Posts

December 16th, 2008 15:00

Thanks!  Ordered the disks to do the restore (sure wish they had shipped with the unit - would have saved some time/frustration in trying to get this back up and running!)....

3.4K Posts

December 16th, 2008 17:00

You're welcome,

Glad to be able to help. :emotion-15:

No Events found!