Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

July 12th, 2013 14:00

[In-place reinstall] Windows 7 64-bit SP1 OWM disk

Hi, I need to do in-place reinstall on my Latitude E6520. But my dell didn't come with Windows dvd.

How do I obtain one from DELL?

Also, my service tag results in telling me that I have DP4 warranty till 2014. Still I am unable to chat with technical support. I get the following error upon entering my service tag:

"Our records indicate that your system is registered to a different region. If you believe you've received this messaging in error, please confirm you've entered your service tag correctly. For example, try using the number 0 vs. the letter O or the letter B vs. the number 8.

Traveling outside your home country with a Dell laptop that is included in the Dell International Services Program? Click here<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>to find support and service resources for your destination country."

What does this mean??

1.5K Posts

July 12th, 2013 17:00

Hi speedbooster,

The Operating system re-installation media is not shipped with the system. The system is shipped with a recovery partition (loaded with system's original factory image). This image is used to do a factory reset, in the event of Windows corruption. Also, you need to create a recovery media when you receive the system for future use. You may refer to the link http://dell.to/1aAfi6p for steps on restoring the system back to 'Factory Settings'.

Note: Please backup the data, as this process leads to data loss.

Hope this helps. Please reply if you have any questions.

July 14th, 2013 04:00

Can you provide a fresh image of recovery partition for me to download?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

The recovery discs (DVDs or flash drive) are the same as what's on the recovery partition.  You absolutely SHOULD create a recovery disc or flash drive.

Did you purchase the system direct from Dell or through retailer, reseller or other third party?

Is there any difference between DELL Recovery partition and DELL recovery media that I needed to create? Do they work differently?

How do I make sure that my recovery partition is not affected by virus etc?

Secondly, whats a DP4 warranty?

July 14th, 2013 06:00

paklap.com/.../dell-inspiron-5521-ci7-8-1tb-local-warranty.html

Please read the last sentence for this product:

Warranty 1 Year DELL Channel Local + International Card Warranty.

July 14th, 2013 06:00

I think it was a retailer. He also gave me a warranty card.....
It reads:

"DELL PASS
Dell official imported product warranty card"

Backside reads:
"Please bring this card every time you come to Dell warranty service center
Pakistan Office Products:
--Some local addresses--
Card number [alphanum]
Warranty date,
Name of Reseller and stamp"

It also has a reflective Dell logo

Here is an image I found on Google of the warranty card:
http://multan.olx.com.pk/laptop-dell-core-i5-inspiron-n5110-with-local-warranty-card-for-sale-just-30-days-used-iid-452248443

One of the product images contains the warranty card....

I think it may be whats known as: Dell local warranty

But still, my tag number shows the laptop is covered in DP4 warranty till   5/2014

Is it of no use to me? Even after I transfer ownership??

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

July 14th, 2013 07:00

Dell don't sell their systems with Reinstallation DVDs. Instead you have an internal factory restore partition and can create a recovery bootable USB.

You may review the following Technical Support Videos:

Recovery Media, Setup and Installation

Factory Settings

This approach has multiple disadvantages however:

• The internal restore partition fails to work if you manually install the OS, or decide to change the partitions to dual the likes of Ubuntu.

• It is preloaded with factory preinstalled software which you may not want or have any use for.  This ruins the system performance significantly in some cases. In particular when Service Packs are later installed.

• The recovery media created by the program does not always work.

• I worry also that the recovery USB can somehow get infected by a virus if the main system is when its made. I haven't heard so many reports of it but it is a possibility. The media can only be made on the problem system.

Manual Clean Installation

Manual installation has multiple benefits however it should be noted in the Dell documentation there is no simple instructions to request a Dell Windows Reinstallation DVD. This has become increasing difficult to procure media from Dell because of Microsoft policies. You will likely have more issues than normal because your Service Tag is not working.

I have hence wrote a Windows Reinstallation Guide which highlights this fact as a major flaw and looks to Digital River to obtain Reinstallation Media. See Step 1b (to create a bootable USB) or Step 1c (to backup and recover your OEM SLP Key and Product Activation). I have also began backing up the Dell OEM Product Activation Files from the Reinstallation DVDs here to assist with these problems.

For Windows 8 the situation is worse as Microsoft have enhanced their product activation which would have removed a lot of problems but have not provided any direct links to downloadable media. If you feel cheated by such policies add your vote to the ideas here so Dell address them. The more ideas an idea get, the more likely Dell are to address it:

http://www.ideastorm.com/idea2ReadIdea?v=1373800516651&Id=087700000008mnRAAQ

http://www.ideastorm.com/idea2ReadIdea?v=1373800516651&Id=087700000008nVnAAI

Unfortunately Dell ideaStorm Requires a separate login.

1 Message

February 20th, 2017 15:00

Philip Yip your link for Dell OEM Product Activation Files is broken, do you have an updated version as my Lattitude drive fried and now I have no installation media.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

February 21st, 2017 10:00

Yes the up to date guide is here: 

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/t/19999620 

Note you can also clean install Windows 10 using the Windows 7 25 Digit Product Key on the COA (under the battery in laptops).

No Events found!