Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 4th, 2009 12:00

Incorrect audio program was installed on my laptop

At some point Intel Audio Studio (which is apparently a desktop program) was accidently installed on my

Dell laptop. Now, I have no sound. Furthermore the program cannot be removed! My question(s): How do I

find the proper program? Where do I find the proper program? And finally how to uninstall the Intel Audio Studio

without having the, "whatever", it was installed with? I know computers, but for some reason, this has me baffled.

Any feedback will be helpful.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

September 4th, 2009 12:00

You must tell us--what model computer and operating system you have as well as how you think a program could have been accidentally installed. Did you look up the program in Help or try to start it to see if you could troubleshoot or change settings? It could be that your speakers are muted, so check Control Panel, Sound. Here's an Intel troubleshooter that might help: Click_here. The program might be part of your windows installation or sound card, not a separate program. It might not have anything to do with your sound trouble.

2 Posts

September 4th, 2009 13:00

Dell  Insprion B130  laptop,  w/ XP Pro service Pack 3

When the computer was purchased, only some of the basic programs were installed.

I beleive that this program was installed from a memory stick.  There is nothing accessible in the

Control Panel, Sound.  Im not finding a sound card in the device manager either. I've been through both

Dell and Intel's troubleshooters.  The support path:  http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/motherbd/index.htm

is not a valaid address. Please note the word desktop.  This obviously not a common occurance.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

September 5th, 2009 07:00

I don't know how you uninstall it, but as MaryG said it probably doesn't have anything to do with the problem. Probably the audio driver was never installed, or not correctly.Go to the B130 downloads page. Install in this order:

a. Dell Notebook System Software (on your downloads page expand the System Utilities category). Restart.

b. Next install the Intel Mobile Chipset driver (expand the Chipset category). Restart.

c. Install the Sigmatel audio driver (expand the Audio category).

That is the normal mode of installation, but some Microsoft updates can interfere with that, so if you have trouble try this:

1. Open Windows Explorer and go to c:\Dell\drivers\R171789 and delete the R171789 folder. That is the current version of your audio driver.
2. Go to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888111 and get the UAA driver. Install it and restart the computer.
3. Download R171789 again or re-use the previous download if you still have it..
4. After it finishes extracting the files and begins to install, cancel.
5. Open Device Manager and expand System devices near the bottom. Find the PCI Device entry with a ? next to it. Go to the properties and choose to update the driver. Choose to manually find the driver and don't let Windows look for it.
Browse to c:\Dell\drivers\R171789\WDM

With any luck it should detect some new hardware and one of them should be the Sigmatel.

No Events found!