Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 5th, 2015 19:00

Inspirion 1200 "no audio output device is installed"

I <ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character removed as per TOU> up, throwing myself at your mercy!

So while moving vids to a flash drive the fourth of fifth one gave me an alert that the drive was suddenly write protected. I hunted around online for a solution and the most common suggestion was to mess around in regedit.exe.

I assume this was a disaster because I'm an idiot. I changed a value from (value not set) to 0, rebooted the laptop, and my audio has not worked since.

I have followed instructions from other posts, but problem not solved.

Under Device Manager there was not a path for "sound, video and game controller" until I attempted to add legacy hardware, problem is I have no idea what sound manufacturer im supposed to have. Downloaded one at random because I'm desperate, and like I said, an idiot. Now "sound video and game controller" has a pathway but it only contains the bunk hardware I picked randomly.

No attempt at downloading new drivers for audio or sound card has helped.

And, to my horror, there were no System Restore points at all. I'm not sure if I failed to set up automatic restore points or if messing in regedit.exe doomed me.

Any help would be much appreciated, I'll answer any questions I can!

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 6th, 2015 03:00

I have no idea what sound manufacturer im supposed to have.

Hello. If you have the old Inspiron 1200 from 2005 it had audio hardware made by Sigmatel, and you can find all of the drivers that Dell released for that model on the Inspiron 1200 html page. Note that the newest operating system supported by the Sigmatel driver is Vista. If you have a newer OS then there are special instructions for installing the driver.

2 Posts

November 6th, 2015 09:00

Hey jimco thanks for the response!

This might be the reason I'm having so much trouble, I have windows 7 on this laptop. Where might I find these  special instructions?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 8th, 2015 13:00

Sorry for the delay. When I got back Friday night the forum was down for maintenance. All you have to do is install the Sigmatel R99254 audio driver for Vista using compatibility mode.

1. Download and save the audio driver to your desktop.
2. Double click on the new icon on the desktop to extract (unzip) the driver files.
3. The extractor wizard will create a new folder for the driver files. It should be at "c:\dell\drivers\R99254" or "c:\dell\drivers\YKWJ1". Make a note of the exact location.
4. If the driver begins to install automatically, halt (cancel) the installation.
5. Browse to the driver files on the hard drive.
6. Find the "setup.exe" file.
7. Right click on setup.exe to open the context menu.
8. Select the Properties.
9. Select the Compatibility tab.
10. Check the box "run this program in compatibility mode for"... Vista.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 8th, 2015 15:00

No Events found!