Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 10th, 2014 12:00

Inspiron 11 3000 series Security Slot

I purchased an Inspiron 11 3147 with what appears to have a non K-Slot security slot. However I have been unable to find out what kind of slot it is. Along with the laptop I bought a Kensington security cable (Dell part number A5883764). The bar on the cable is too wide to fit into the slot on the notebook. The cable fits fine into my other devices with a k-slot. The only explanation I can come up with is that Dell just didn't make the slot big enough, which I also find hard to believe.

I opened a case with Dell, but the support tech was not able to find a compatible security cable and advised that I contact Kensington.

Attached is a picture showing the slot and cable.

Has anyone else had similar problems?

1 Message

November 28th, 2014 23:00

I recently received my Dell Inspiron 13 7000 and I had the same problem with my Kensington combination lock.

Researching information in the web, it looks like Dell changed the security slot to a shorter one (Noble security Wedge) for some Tablets, Ultrabooks (including Dell XPS 12) and Inspiron 14 (7437) - 7000. There is not information for Dell Inspiron 11 3000 or 13 7000 series but as I can see in some pictures the size of the slot is the same that the Inspiron 14 7000.

The new slot is using Noble security Wedge (Manufacturer Part# : TZ08 | Dell Part# : A6451164) and the link to buy it in Dell store this special security cable is:

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A6451164

I will buy this cable hoping it fits my Dell 13 7000.

February 23rd, 2015 13:00

The post by jisimonc is correct.

I just purchased a Inspiron 13 7000 last week. Two Dell presales reps said that the standard k-slot lock would work. It did not, but I was able to exchange it for a Noble security wedge, Dell PN A6451164. The Noble lock did work on the Inspiron 13 7000, and I think it also would have worked on the Inspiron 11 3000 I purchased in September. I wasn't able to try it, but the slots looked the same size.

This is not documented at all by Dell, as far as I was able to find. The Nobel wedge lock doesn't list the Inspiron 11 or 13 as a compatible device, and the notebook specs don't list the Nobel wedge as a compatible accessory, or even list what kind of security slot it has. Dell reps also seem to be unaware of this. I'm also disappointed by the selection of Nobel wedges available. I would have preferred a combination lock, but was only able to find a keyed lock.

124 Posts

September 10th, 2014 14:00

Newer Samsung machines have a narrower slot and the only cable that I found that would work is the Samsung cable.

1 Message

February 23rd, 2015 12:00

I have the same problem.  No one at DELL seems to have a clue. What is the Inspiron 7000 security slot smaller than the standard ?  No one seems to know. I have been thru 3 cables now. Maybe only solution is to buy one of the adapters that adds another security notch.  thanks, jim  

July 12th, 2016 16:00

Hello

I have exactly the same problem. Is hard to see that this post was published more than one year ago and no answer from DELL. 

Any clue?

I´ll keep looking for an answer and post if find something

July 12th, 2016 17:00

Hello again

Just learned via the helpdesk that the new format is called "Noble Security Wedge" and there are some models available in http://accessories.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A6451164 

hope this be useful 

No Events found!