Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

RP

September 4th, 2016 11:00

Inspiron 11-3147 USB Ports UNREASONABLY TIGHT for CONNECTIONS!

Hi,

I have a Dell Inspiron 11-3147 [Intel Pent. 64- bit, N3540 @2.16 GHz, 4 Gb RAM]

It's been working so well for me since new—eight months ago—and I continue to be thrilled with it. I don't plug in many USB devices (occasional Sandisk flash drive back-up), but I did observe right out of the box that it had extremely tight-fitting USB ports. Of course, back then I performed Web searches for any users sharing a similar experience, but only found a few comments about a different Dell model. I reasoned that the problem would lessen with use and familiarity. Mutual understanding between my Dell and me ;-)

I really do pamper this baby and its peripherals. That's why I'm fairly crestfallen the day after my Microsoft wireless mouse nano transceiver separated from its casing when I attempted to ever so cautiously switch ports from the USB 3.0. Fortunately, I was able to carefully remove the protruding transceiver with long needle-nose pliers and reattach the casing in order to reassign the nano to the first USB 2.0 port (right side) where it is also too tight, but is working as it should and will remain! The lower right corner tip of the USB 3 port's recessed tray is now slightly disfigured, but I'm sure this is to be expected over time on these connections, albeit ones used more frequently than mine and with far less fastidious hands.

I suppose I'm looking for people to commiserate a bit with me. Has anyone else experienced anything similar? I'm feeling kind of let down by Dell especially since I take such good care of my Inspiron; when I bought it, I never bargained on getting toolbox tools anywhere near it!

I really do believe the company when it advertises how many thousands of times their robots test hinges, keyboard taps, impact shocks, etc., but maybe they should have had a human being attempting to plug in a standard USB drive in any of the system's ports at the end of the assembly line. At least on mine! I am looking forward to many more years of productive and enjoyable use of my Inspiron. Thank you for your time. —RPA

No Responses!
No Events found!