Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 26th, 2015 10:00

Inspiron 11-3147 touchpad problems

I received my 3147 from Outlet about a week ago. From the first time I started it, the touchpad did not lock in tablet mode. I searched the forums and deleted/reinstalled the touchpad and quickset drivers, only to find that I lost functionality of the touchpad and it *still* didn't lock in tablet mode.

I spent two hours on the phone with tech support at that point and we were unable to resolve the issue. A new motherboard and sensors were dispatched. I continued to search for a solution, and came across another forum post suggesting it was the chipset driver that was causing my system to fail to recognize the right touchpad drivers. I updated the I2C controller and reinstalled the touchpad and quickset drivers and it worked GREAT- for a day. Then, while I was using it, the computer stopped responding for about 30 seconds and after it started responding again the touchpad had returned to limited functionality and no locking in tablet mode (or locking at all- there was no longer even an option to disable it because it was identified as the PS/2 mouse with the generic 2006 driver). The Dell touchpad still showed up in device manager but when I would click on it, it never started and just hung there. I tried restarting the computer but nothing changed.

This morning I started up the computer and noticed that the icon for the Dell touchpad was back in my status bar. It wasn't functional, but it was there. After using the computer for probably five minutes, it stopped responding for about 30 seconds during which time the touchpad icon was showing activity. Out of nowhere, everything is functional again. My new motherboard and sensors are apparently still over a week out.

Any thoughts on whether a new motherboard and sensors will permanently solve this problem? I really want to love this computer, but I don't have the time or patience for ongoing problems and waiting another week for parts is going to put me dangerously close to the end of the 30-day return period. If I had purchased from any other retailer I would have returned immediately when it didn't work the first time I started it up.

3 Posts

April 8th, 2015 20:00

Mine had the same problem of not locking the touchpad when in tablet mode. I just put up with it until I had to use the Dell restore tool (for a different issue). After I ran the factory restore tool, with the option to keep my files the same, the touchpad magically locked. I don't know why that worked, but it did.

2 Posts

May 19th, 2015 17:00

Possibly related problem, my 3147 was a just over a month old (so I couldn't return it), when after an update the touchscreen went dead (no response to touch), touchpad would no longer lock in tablet mode.  I searched many forums and tried updating/reinstalling various drivers (including i2c controller), Dell Quickset, etc., none of which helped the touchpad.  What did cure the touchpad locking problem,  was to go into Device manager- System devices - i2c controller - driver, and Roll Back the driver.  This changed it from new 2015 driver to old 2013 driver, and it worked fine after that, and has stayed good for 2 days. 

[I got the touchscreen to work again also, by a different process. I was afraid I was going to have to reinstalled Windows from scratch, adn ll my progrmas....   Touchscreen had gotten uninstalled somehow, nothing could fix it, until I clicked "scan for hardware changes" in Device manager - Human Interface devices, and that reinstalled the touchscreen functions.]

1 Message

October 22nd, 2015 13:00

Can you describe the i2C file to Roll Back in more detail?  I can't find it listed and I am having the same issues with my touchpad not disabling even though it is set as "off" everywhere and the FnF3 key isn't doing it either.  It was working just fine until a couple of months ago and it is driving me crazy!

2 Posts

December 23rd, 2015 09:00

Every time i try to use tablet mode, i find that my keyboard is locked abd touchpad is working. I am not genius in computers and programming and i didn't manage to solve it using the instructions and tips. I tried to rerun the drivers of touchpad, to refuse to update the controller through the update centre, reinstall it and touchpad driver from Dell site. for that time i had win 8.1 home

I updated my system up to win 10 home hoping for solution of the problem, but it stayed the same. Has anyone found an adequate and working solution?

3 Posts

December 23rd, 2015 12:00

I am using Windows 10 on mine. The thing that I did was download and use the Windows 8.1 drivers instead of the ones made for 10. After that I've not really had any problems. Every now and then the touchpad will lag on the commands but if I wait a few seconds (usually around 10 to 15 seconds) the commands will go through and then I can use it like normal again. Once in a while the touchpad will not function correctly, but that's usually after not restarting the laptop for several days. That's what is working for me.

No Events found!