Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 7th, 2013 07:00

Inspiron 1100 screen blacks out when I move lid

A long while back I was given an old Inspiron 1100 and have finally gotten around to installing XP Home and adding it to my network.

But no sooner do I have it up and running than the screen starts blacking out and I have to wiggle the lid back and forth to get the screen light to come back on.

I'm hoping this is just a problem with a loose connection that I might be able to correct myself, and not a sign that the display  is about to die on me.

Any ideas on how to fix it?

Will in Seattle

a.k.a. "Clueless"

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

July 7th, 2013 08:00

Hi Will,

Please run Diagnostics on the laptop, follow the steps to run PSA (Preboot System Assessment) diagnostics:

1. Restart the computer by tapping F12 key.
  2. In the boot menu screen select Diagnostics in the list and hit enter.
  3. If colors are displayed across the screen without a problem then the issue lays outside of the LCD. If the colors do not display or the screen does not display one solid color, the problem is only with the LCD or the connection of the LCD cable on the motherboard.
  4. Try connecting an external monitor to the laptop and check if there is any display on the external monitor. This helps us to check if the problem is with the motherboard/video card of the laptop.

Check this link to troubleshoot LCD screen of the laptop: http://dell.to/XoS1MS

Please post the results.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 7th, 2013 08:00

Start by reseating (unplug and reconnect) both ends of the cable that runs between the display and mainboard.  Check the cable for damage - if it's damaged and/or reseating both ends doesn't solve the problem, replace the cable with a new one.

July 7th, 2013 10:00

Thanks for such a quick response, ejn63!

I don't have a manual for this machine, so don't now where to look for the cable you mention.

Could you point me to the instructions for accessing it?

I tried downloading the manual, but I'm on a free dial-up ISP and it choked on the download.

I can go over to the library and use their computers when they open up this afternoon and try downloading it over there.

Will in Seattle

a.k.a. "Clueless"

July 7th, 2013 10:00

Hi Nikhil D,

Thanks for the quick reply!

I'm running the Diagnostics routine from the pre-boot menu, and the color bars display properly and the menu displayed in solid blue..

I've got an external monitor connected and it doesn't go black when I tap the laptop screen, but the laptop screen does go black.

I'm having trouble figuring out how to boot the remainder of the diagnostics routine from the CD, so I think I'll try reseating the plugs.

Will in Seattle

a.k.a. "Clueless"

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 7th, 2013 11:00

The service manual is located here:

www.dell.com/.../inspiron-1100

No Events found!