Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 3rd, 2009 14:00

Inspiron 1150 CPU Upgrade

I have so far upgraded the RAM to 2GB on this laptop, and upgraded the CPU once in the past to a Pentium 2.66GHz CPU, and so far it was good.  I recently had I purchase a new battery cause my old one gave the flashing amber light of death.

However, I want to get the CPU even faster than before, and max it out just like I did the RAM.  What is the fastest CPU it can handle?  I tried an SL7NA Pentium 4 3.06GHz CPU cause it had the same 533MHz BUS as my current P4, but got a microcode error, which I felt it would since that is a Prescott core and not a Northwood.

Any information is welcome, thanks.

20 Posts

June 3rd, 2009 15:00

As far as heating is concerned, I have modified the cooling system to something more eficient, custom made.

I will try to find another P4 mobile at work that is a northwood.

I assume it has to be 533MHz tops.  I don't think the board can handle anything 800MHz bus.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 3rd, 2009 15:00

Any of the Northwood P4 mobiles will work - that said, the system had trouble coping with the standard CPU. Upgrading it to a faster one could result in instability or hardware failure due to overheating. 

The system does not suppot any Prescott-core mobiles.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 3rd, 2009 16:00

Correct on the 533 bus - there are no 800 MHz Northwoods.  I believe the 1150 is hyperthreading-incapable as well.

20 Posts

June 3rd, 2009 16:00

Actually there are some 800MHz northwoods, just not mobile.  SL6WK being one of them.  I build my father a PC a while ago with that CPU.

And correct, the 1150 doesn't have HT.  I've checked the BIOS, it's just not in it.  (In a binary dump of the firmware, not CMOS setup utility).

20 Posts

June 4th, 2009 08:00

I just ran across an odd CPU.  Celeron D SL7Q9.

It's a Prescot core, but worked on my 1150.  It of course gave the microcode error, but upon booting anyway, Windows booted right up, saw it as a Celeron D, and even gave the SSE3 instruction set.  I didn't check to see if EM64T was working or if the CPU even had it.  I'd doubt that one, but it was working.  Being my Vista installation was installed on a single core CPU, the propper ACPI HAL wasn't loaded.  I might do a reinstall and see if the dual cores actually fire up.  Once again I doubt it, but this is interesting, minus the microcode error.

No Events found!