Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 15th, 2013 23:00

Inspiron 14 auto contrast/brightness changes.

I purchased Inspiron 14 Laptop recently that has Intel graphics media and nvidia 2 GB. I am facing an issue in which the screen adjusts its contrast/brightness automatically.. it (the whole screen display) gets dim when some dark color content is on the screen and gets brighter when some light color content on the screen..THIS iS SO ANNOYING and affect my eyes.. i am using Dell Inspiron 1525 from 5 years and now i purchased inspiron 14 which has this problem. I am not a geek user but professional so this issue cant be neglected. According to my experience searching on internet I am not the only one who faced this kind of Issue Dell forum is filled with such issues and no proper solution for this problem is found yet.

Issue Examples: Scrolling down a website that has light content at the top and dark content at the bottom.. so while scrolling the brightness changes for the whole screen and it is legible.

switching between two different windows or two different tabs that has different color shades (light and dark e.g light blue to dark brown or vice versa) the screen seems to change its brightness according to the color's density.

This issue occurs only when laptop is on Battery mode and not on Plugged in Mode, May be there is some setting that has to be ticked off or some software that has to be uninstall which is unknown yet.

I have done almost all the possible tricks that I could find on internet through Dell and other forums..

Unchecking the Display Power Saving technology from Intel Graphics and Media control panel- Didnt work.

Setting the Brightness to the full manually and through power plan changes- Didnt work.

Disabled Adaptive Brightness control from Power plan settings- Didnt work.

Stopped Monitor sensing under Services from Task manager.- Didnt work.

Kindly help

9 Posts

May 22nd, 2013 04:00

After getting my Mind messed up with DELL TeCh support who didnt even know/understand what actually the Issue/functionality it was, I myself found a solution for me None of the steps over internet worked for me..

This issue of auto brightness adjusting is caused by Dell Intelligent Display ' which is located in your Battery managing window if its not there follow these Steps..

Restart your system

Press F2 on Dell Logo appears.

Goto Boot tab

Select Secure Boot and Disable it and Save and Exit.

Press F12 while Dell logo appears

Check all the options if Secure Boot is Off, it has to be Off. If not toggle it to Off. Save and Exit.

Restart your system-> goto Desktop

Right click on ur battery Icon and open the Battery managing window (where order Battery online appears ..that window)  (not  the Power plans, not the Quickset window, Not the windows mobility center)

Switch to first tab in that window

You will see an option Dell Intelligent Display is now appearing.

Turn that annoyingly useless hidden functionality off and check..

I hope this Work for you guys.. in the favor of Mankind my contribution to the technology..

May 12th, 2014 13:00

Hi guys, installing the latest video driver for the Intel 4000 HD board directly from Intel's website solved my problem.

You find it at:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23714&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%208.1%2C%2064-bit*&DownloadType=

1 Message

December 9th, 2014 08:00

screen brightness controller in not presence in my laptop after boot to it.what should i do to gain screen brightness controller

1.5K Posts

May 15th, 2013 23:00

Hi nbeankit,

Welcome to the community.

I apologize for all the inconvenience this issue has caused and promise you that I will do my best to resolve this issue to your satisfaction.

Kindly check the system with external monitor and let us know if the issue occurs on Monitor as well. This would help us isolate if it is an issue with the video card or LCD.

If you have any further queries, please feel free to contact us.

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

9 Posts

May 16th, 2013 09:00

Hello Dell-Sandeep,

I have checked my system with external monitor which is again Dell ST2320L monitor. The above mentioned issue happens with laptop only and not in the external monitor. 

The scenario that This issue occurs only when laptop is on Battery mode and not on Plugged in Mode is Confusing. Kindly get in touch with your architects who have decided to implement/designed this technology to auto adjust display brightness according to color shades densities. Can't really say its an Issue but again cant deny cuz it is an unwanted behavior.

one more thing the laptop says Made in China lol, idk if that is the cause.

Kindly help

Regards

Ankit

#iusedell :emotion-43:

1.5K Posts

May 17th, 2013 02:00

Hi Ankit,

I appreciate the time and effort that you took to troubleshoot the issue. If the issue doesn't occur on the external monitor then it is definitely not an issue with the video card.

As, you mentioned it happens on battery mode only then kindly change the power plan to high performance and check again.

Also, let us know exact model number of the system along with Windows installed so we can find more information regarding this issue.

Below are the different Inspiron 14 systems we have:

Inspiron 14 (1440)

Inspiron 14 (N4050)

Inspiron 14 3420

Inspiron 14 AMD M4010

Inspiron 14 AMD M4040

Inspiron 14 Intel (N4020)

Inspiron 14 N4030

Inspiron 14 N4120

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

9 Posts

May 17th, 2013 08:00

hi Sandeep,

The laptop model is Inspiron 14 3421, here is the link for your assistance to find the config: http://configure.ap.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=w540760in8&model_id=inspiron-14-3421&c=in&l=en&s=dhs&cs=indhs1 

Now about power plan so as I have already mentioned in my 1st post that i have checked through Power plans already but still i keep on spending my time to fix this issue since brightness changing like that is disturbing during work.. plus i cannot let the charger plugged in everytime as a work around to solve this issue, for obvious reasons. Here is the detailed process concerning power plans that i have performed to solve the Issue.

The total power plans are- Dell, Power saver, Balanced, High performance.

Checked by selecting each power plan on default settings. Issue exists

Checked by setting the Brightness (low, medium High) manually and saved them for each Power Plan. Issue exists

Checked by modifying and saving the Advanced settings for each power plan. Issue exists

Checked by resetting the default settings for each power plan. Issue exists

Checked by creating a custom power plan. Issue exists

Checked by changing the Windows themes, and by altering the display settings and saving them from Performance Information and tools under control panel. Issue exists

Not sure how Dell tech support through phone and screen sharing would work since I have performed the check with external monitor and issue cant be reproduced  there so it means its Laptop specific.

Kindly let me know what all the checks do i have to perform to troubleshoot the issue so that you guys can help me asap and in a better way, since it is sorta not good that less than a week old laptop is defeating its purpose due to a bug or may be some unknown setting which is causing this issue. 

Regards. 

1.5K Posts

May 27th, 2013 04:00

Hi Ankit,

Its great to hear that issue with the system has been resolved to your satisfaction. We truly appreciate your time to share the resolution with us as I am sure it would help other users as well

If you have any queries in future feel free to contacts us.

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

1 Message

May 27th, 2013 07:00

This worked for me!  Thanks!  My Secure Boot options were disabled, but I did not notice the Dell options when right-clicking on the battery icon.

1.5K Posts

May 27th, 2013 23:00

Hi slimcane,

Welcome to the community.

Its great to hear that you found the information here useful. If you have any further queries, please feel free to contact us.

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

2 Posts

January 10th, 2014 11:00

I Could not get Battery managing window where order battery online appears....please help...i have processed other previous procedure

2 Posts

January 10th, 2014 11:00

I have same problem, and tried this given procedure. On right click on battery icon i could not get Battery managing window (where order Battery online appers..). So I couldn't proceed further. Please help me to fix it.

1.5K Posts

January 11th, 2014 05:00

I Could not get Battery managing window where order battery online appears....please help...i have processed other previous procedure

Hi SHRDKHNL,

Please check this link below where you can order relevant battery for your system:

Battery Selector

1 Message

January 13th, 2014 08:00

guys, i too faced the same problem in my dell inspiron 3421.

i did everything what is listed and nothing worked.

the solution for me is installing DELL QUICKSET. (you will need to find the quickset version that suits your laptop model)

after installing quickset, right click on your battery icon and you will be able to see 'Desktop mode battery charge' option ect. after clicking it, a window named "Battery meter" will appear. switch to the first tab. clear the  checkbox named 'Enable dell intelligent display'

and finally.... problem fixed

(i am not a IT Professional just a dell user :D )

1 Message

April 21st, 2015 16:00

thanks a lot! I only need to add the after selecting secure off on F12 I cant boot, restarted with UEFI and option appeared, then I unselected the "hidden" option and it changed instantly :) no more auto bright.. TNX!

No Events found!