Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 13th, 2016 04:00

Inspiron 14z, win8 product key after format C-Drive

Hello,

3 year ago I bought a new Dell Inspiron 14z with windows 8 (500GB HDD+32GB SSD). I have several pratitions on it and I multiboot with Kubuntu. Later I upgraded my windows 8 to 8.1 and later 10.

Now  I just saved some programs and all personal files from my C-Drive on a external HDD. I formated my C drive and reinstalled with an USB windows 10. Now I have to enter a product key which I am not able to find under the computer.  I tried to run in cmd.exe, Slui 4. I followed the instruction and Microsoft called me, I gave them my installation ID. They just said they can do nothing I even didn't gave me any advice.

I also looked at the receipt, there were a lot of numbers but nothing like a win8 product key.

I tried to look into the PC but I can just open at one place where I think the SSD is located.
Under the laptop I have a Dell sticker with some data and numbers but no win8 product key and a windows 8 sticker with the windows logo.

What can I do now?? Is there a possibility something is some hidden partition that I am able to see in Kubuntu.
( Kubuntu worked after reinstall but now I made some changes and it doesn't work anymore bit I think I'll get it to work)
I hope someone can help me.

Mike

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 13th, 2016 06:00

There is no product key for Windows 8 -- it is embedded into the system board.  If Windows 10 had already been installed and activated on the system, a reinstall should have picked it up and automatically activated, IF the version you installed was the same (i.e., Windows 10 for Windows 8 -- NOT 10 Pro in place of 8 or 10).  

4 Posts

June 13th, 2016 07:00

Windows 10 was already installed and I then formated my C partition and then reinstalled Windows 10. I could install it without the product key but now when I click in settings on activate I get the error message:

Activation failed because this device doesn't have a valid digital entitlement or product key. Error Code 0x803F001

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 13th, 2016 08:00

Was the system board replaced at any point?

4 Posts

June 13th, 2016 08:00

No the hardware is still original. I just multiboot some OS and that's why I had to change some BIOS settings does this have something to do with it? My SSD is also formated and not used for Intel Speed up.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

June 14th, 2016 05:00

Windows 8 and Windows 10 installation media are Edition specific... If you are asked for a product key during installation you have selected the wrong Edition. If the Windows 10 TH2 .iso asks for a product key, then try the Windows 10 TH2 Single Language .iso. See here for details:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-windows-10-oem-and-retail-iso/

No Events found!