Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 22nd, 2016 12:00

Inspiron 15-5559 can the Fn + H Toggle be set to hard-drive activity light

I have a new Inspiron 15-5559.  I use the Fn + H to show hard-drive activity.  Is thee a way to set this so I don't have to do it every time the laptop starts up  Sometimes I forget and then when I look at the light nothing is going on so I have to do the Fn + H again.  Can a script or batch file be created and put in the startup section to turn it on each renoot?

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

June 22nd, 2016 15:00

The LED toggles between being a battery / power indicator to the HDD activity indicator.  I am not aware of anyway to make the LED default automatically to be the HDD activity indicator.  

I don't think that it will but you can try looking at the Windows Mobility Center, press the win and X keys together and choose mobility center.  I haven't tried this, but look to see if there is a setting for either battery charger or HDD indicator and see if you can make changes there. 

TB

7 Posts

June 22nd, 2016 16:00

Thanks Terry B.  Nothing in the Mobility Center on that option.  Still looking to see if there is a way to make the HDD side the default.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

June 23rd, 2016 16:00

Since you didn't find anything in Mobility Center it is doubtful that there will be something here but you can check to see if you have Dell Quickset installed.  If not you can download it from here and then check mobility center. 

TB

7 Posts

June 23rd, 2016 22:00

That didn't make any difference.  I did see a drop down for the Function Key or Multimedia Key.  Not sure what the Multimedia Key means.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

June 24th, 2016 16:00

If that doesn't make a difference than it is very likely that the LED will default to being the battery charge indicator first and unfortunately you will have to change it manually at each boot. 

I am sorry that I wasn't able to find you a method to change that. 

TB

7 Posts

June 24th, 2016 18:00

It's not your fault if Dell did not address that option.  I did see somewhere that you could change the F1 thru F12 keys to default to either the normal function or other options each could do.  I would like to keep then as normal and hit the Fn key +  sound on/off volume up/down etc.

I just had Microsoft solve a Update problem I had but it was really was a Windows Defender problem that happened when I installed Malwarebytes Anti-Malware on turning Windows Defender totally off and Windows Defender kept trying to update its database but since it was not running it could not do that so in the Windows Update I kept getting a Error for that update.

Thanks for your help.

No Events found!