Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 17th, 2016 03:00

Inspiron 15 5559 - won't wake from sleep

If this problem has been fixed then please link if possible, I've scoured countless forums and fixes for hours and I've had no luck. Apologies for the long post but I'll cover everything I've tried.

I received an Inspiron 15 5559 from Dell outlet yesterday for my fiance. I spent the afternoon cleaning it up and everything seemed to be fine (for details I installed AVG anti-virus and chrome plus removed a few bits of bloatware, nothing else) 

I closed the lid to put it in sleep mode and went to pick her up from work. When we got back about an hour later she opened the machine and it stayed on a blank screen. Nothing on the keyboard, trackpad (or usb mouse) or even the power button would resume the machine. Eventually I had to hold down the power button to hard reset and there was the very obvious noise of hard drives and fans powering down so the laptop was on just not responding. 

After checking the power settings and 'what happens when the lid closes' options in power management (set to sleep for all) I then turned to Google. Alot of posts recommended updating drivers which I did for everything (laptop was from outlet but I hope it was a recent install, weren't any updates to be done)

Following another post I went into the device manager and checked the various devices. I've looked at the keyboard and mouse sections as well as the human interface device sections. In all cases any devices that have a power management tab (I checked them all) the option 'Allow this device to wake from sleep mode" is greyed out and unticked.

I opened a command line and started looking at powercfg - after checking compatible devices (HID compliant mouse and keyboard were listed) I entered the following:

powercfg /devicequery wake_armed (to see what devices can wake the laptop)

Result: NONE

So there are no devices able to wake the machine from sleep mode, so i entered:

powercfg /deviceenablewake "HID Compliant Keyboard"

Result: You do not have permission to enable or disable device wake

as the only user on the machine (and administrator) I found this odd until i discovered the hidden top level administrator which i activated using the "net user administrator active:yes" command.

I then logged out and back in as the administrator and went through the same process as before and got exactly the same result - "you do not have permission to enable or disable device wake" How does the secret administrator not have permission exactly???

moving on I've looked through the registry to try and find the devices, I've disabled UAC (and now reactivated it) to check for conflicts there. I've tried using hibernate mode but it seems much the same as shutting it down.

I've also disabled fast startup in the power management and fast boot in the BIOS. I can see no reason nor understand why all devices would be disabled from waking the machine from sleep, sleep is now effectively an endless sleep.

Short of finding this laptops true love kiss I'm at the end of my knowledge/rope. Oh and it's Windows 10 home, I had no choice on the OS (outlet machine) and I'm not upgrading to another OS just so I can use a basic function.

any help greatly appreciated

2K Posts

March 17th, 2016 16:00

Hi PETERHARLING85,

Update the BIOS from - http://dell.to/1YKI5dC - restart the system and check.

If the issue is not resolved, then read below:

Check if the issue is seen on both Auto sleep and Manual sleep.

Check with hybrid sleep on and off in power management -> advanced settings - http://bit.ly/1XyCQN6 

Under display adapters:

• Uninstall the AMD driver (if applicable on your system) from device manager and control panel - programs and features. Restart the system and check. If the sleep works fine, then reinstall the video drivers from vendor site - http://www.amd.com/ for your specific OS.
  • Uninstall the Intel driver - restart and check - if the sleep works fine, then reinstall the Intel driver from - http://intel.ly/22ouEFZ

Create a new local admin account and then check again if the issue is with Auto Sleep or Manual Sleep.

Try a refresh of Win 10 - http://bit.ly/1P81h34

Perform a reinstall of W10 as a last resort - http://dell.to/257eKPb

Keep us updated.

March 22nd, 2016 03:00

i have the same problem with my dell i5 5559 it does not wake up from sleep until i have to force shut down by holding power button. have you found any clue ?

2K Posts

March 23rd, 2016 14:00

Hi NAJAM AWAIS,

Have you tried the steps as per my previous post? If yes, then kindly post a detailed description of the query as per the steps mentioned and we check on further course of action.

Keep us updated.

1 Message

October 26th, 2016 07:00

I have the exact same problem.  Have followed all the steps outlined by DELL-RISHI.  

My Windows10 is up to date so I have not done a refresh because this would wipe all my settings and installed apps.  Not a particularly feasible option..

DELL-RISHI can you please explain why a reinstall of W10 would help if the OS is up-to-date?  

3 Posts

December 28th, 2016 03:00

Did somebody solve the problam?  I have the same, (Dell 5559) webcam after sleep mode doesn't work...

2 Posts

June 22nd, 2017 21:00

I have a somewhat more severe version of this problem.  My laptop has entered sleep mode and NOTHING will bring it back out.  Even unplugging and removing the battery does not help.

I have gotten it back once by powering it down, removing the battery and power cord,  taking it apart, disconnecting the hard drive, restarting it to generate a bios error,  then reversing the process.

At the moment it is dead and I'm about to repeat the above process....this is beyond annoying.

Suggestions?

Bryan Paschke

2 Posts

June 22nd, 2017 21:00

ok, try this on for size.  The machine is entirely dead unless I disconnect the power and battery, disconnect the hard drive, reconnect  the power and battery, start it to generate a bios error, turn it off, disconnect the battery and power cord,  and reconnect the hard drive.

This is, of course, after simply trying to force a power down by disconnecting the battery and power supply.  I know I can/WILL disable sleep mode, but it's more than slightly upsetting.

2 Posts

July 19th, 2017 12:00

I have the same issue. I have called Dell and they went through this whole process of updating BIO, video drivers, and it still giving me issues. I just downloaded the latest video driver, and even turned OFF sleep mode so the computer NEVER goes to sleep. The worst issue is that I brought over 8 of these laptops and the ALL have the same issue! The support *** since they said we ran the diags and there are NO issues, and that my issue maybe software. I even un-installed software and it still is happening. Will update you if updating the NVIDIA driver will work.

1 Message

July 19th, 2017 17:00

I bought mine in May 2016, and it would go to sleep but not wake up. To resume, had to power down and restart. Updated drivers with help from  Dell support, which did not fix the problem. Suggested solution was to prevent it from sleeping and I was not prepared to accept that. A new motherboard fixed it. No problems since.

1 Message

July 20th, 2017 01:00

I have the same problem except mineral is after running a 12 HOUR  Windows virus removal tool.12 HOURS ! In terms of dell support, this is what you do to bypass there terrible foreign support,...as soon as you get the feeling the agent has no clue what there doing, you ask to speak to their supervisor. Even if they try to make an excuse that there not available or they continue to try and read of a screen. Just wait because there not supposed to hang up or refuse your request. Trust me. Good luck to all.

No Events found!