Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 22nd, 2017 21:00

Inspiron 15 7000 gaming has grey vertical lines after opening the lid

I just got my laptop 2 days ago and it almost immediately started doing this to me. When I open the lid all I will see on it are gray lines with the mouse being a square shaped slightly off color gray line area. When it does this I have to completely power down my laptop to make it go away. Once I power it back on again it works perfectly fine though.

How do I fix this on my own or do I have to send it back to dell since its a faulty laptop? I really don't want to send it back though so any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 23rd, 2017 04:00

Send the system back for replacement - the other option is a repair, which will also require sending the system back -- and makes little sense on a brand new system.

3 Posts

October 30th, 2017 20:00

I had this problem about a month ago, fixed it, got it again today, and fixed it again but in a different way. I would suggest trying to update your BIOS. Search for Dell driver updates, enter your product into the dell website, and find the correct BIOS driver update.

3 Posts

I fixed it by updating my BIOS driver. I went to the Dell website, put in my product type, and installed the newest BIOS driver.

3 Posts

I had this problem today and fixed it by updated the BIOS. Search for Dell drivers on Google and click on the link to the Dell website. Enter your product so you can find the right driver. Then find the BIOS driver and install the update.

1 Message

October 31st, 2017 16:00

I'm having this issue as well. It has been 2 days since I purchased my Dell Inspiron 15 7000 gaming (i5 version) and when I close and open the lid the vertical lines appear. It doesn't seem to matter if I close and immediately open or close and wait a while before opening(1 hour, 3 hours, 8 hours, same thing.) I have updated all drivers and run a memory diagnostic. I'll be bringing my computer in to get looked at this week so I'll try to update when I can for those still having the issue

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

October 31st, 2017 18:00

" I have updated all drivers "

You updated the System Setup(BIOS) as bbv1414 suggested? If no, I suggest following the instructions in the video below to safety installed latest BIOS version.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

Lastly,

If the BIOS and drivers are updated and vertical lines still appears, run the computer LCD built-in self test (BIST) by following the steps in the link below:

How do I Run Diagnostics on a Dell Laptop LCD? | Dell US

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

If the vertical  lines still appears:

After installing BIOS to the latest version, I suggest reinstalling the Chipset and Video drivers in correct order or one by one.

How to reinstall drivers in the correct order | Dell US

EDIT:

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

October 31st, 2017 19:00

I am running the 4K i7 version of the system.  I just updated to the latest Bios and have the latest Intel video driver.

Have you tried changing the Display DPI setting?  I normally run it at 200% but after the Bios update it was running at 250%.  I will keep you advised if I see any problems, but so far everything normal.

Are external monitors normal?  Do you have any special software on the system?  I have Steam but it does not seem to be causing any problems..

1 Message

November 3rd, 2017 08:00

This fixed my problem. Thanks!

1 Message

November 6th, 2017 08:00

I found a fix that worked for me for this issue after trying to update BIOS and everything else didn't resolve the problem. In short, rolling back one of my video drivers to an older version got rid of the problem for me.

Specifically, what I did was go into "Device Manager" -> "Display adapters", and then right clicked "Intel(R) HD Graphics 630", clicked "update drivers", then "browse my computer for driver software". I then chose an older version of the video driver and installed that. I'm posting this now that I've finally opened my lid without seeing that annoying screen and having to power off.

No Events found!