Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 22nd, 2015 10:00

Inspiron 15 7000 is painfully slow

Hi,

I bought a new, shiny Inspiron 15 7000 series two weeks ago. This is a heavy-duty beast with 6GB RAM and 1TB HDD. No SSD, though...

I bought it from MS store, so it has a clean OS, and no adware / malware / crapware whatsoever.

From the day I bought it, it was painfully slow, sometimes to the point of rendering it unusable.

Pressing the Win key takes ages, and actually clicking something in the Start Screen won't do anything for almost 10 seconds.

The HDD is almost always 100%, and the computer freezes frequently for a few seconds.

For example - launching Visual Studio takes more than a minute. Actually running a project can take longer than that.

What is the problem? How can I make it run in a normal pace?

Thanks!

412 Posts

February 22nd, 2015 11:00

Hi Memilavi,

If its running very slowly at bootup & Task Manager shows your disk usage is 100% or close to it, then I would look at the list & see what is causing the high read\write on the disk.

Also, perhaps to consider, is that if your unit has an Intel CPU the SpeedStep might be excessively underclocking the CPU. Enter the settings of your BIOS & see if there is an option named "CPU Settings" & change SpeedStep to Disabled.

Let us know how it turns out, hope this helps!

2 Posts

February 23rd, 2015 14:00

Thanks JIM_SURVAK!

I've disabled the SpeedStep, and the PC started flying!

I've no idea what SpeedStep is, but it definitely did not make my PC any speedier...

You're da man...

412 Posts

February 23rd, 2015 17:00

You're most welcome Memilavi!

SpeedStep is a technology implemented by Intel to underclock the CPU when it's not needed (for the sake of saving battery life). While good in theory sometimes it doesn't allow performance that we would expect as end-users.

I had to disable it on my Venue 8 Pro because web pages scrolled like a flip-book so it had to go! lol

Always happy to help!

April 1st, 2015 06:00

I recently bought Dell Inspiron 5000 series.  It has some 12GB of RAM and all that good stuff.  I disabled the speedstep as given in this forum, however it didn't make any difference.  It still shows 100% disk usage.

What else I can do ?

Thanks

1 Message

August 27th, 2015 11:00

I have a dell inspiron 15 7000 i7 with 16 GB. I have same problem. I tried disabling speed step in bios it did not help. Any other suggestion?  

2 Posts

September 11th, 2015 13:00

I have same problem; last week I bought dell inspiron 15 5000 i7 with 6GB; my 4-year old i5 with 8G, runs much faster....what's wrong with this model? Memory usage is only 3G, plenty left...but slow in opening and switching applications... 

September 19th, 2015 08:00

I Have a Dell Inspiron 15 7000 series with the sme problem, Bios trick dindn't worked another idea?

2 Posts

September 19th, 2015 15:00

I changed the hard disk to SSD and increased the RAM to 12G; now I see faster response to opening applications. I think its hard disk.  

No Events found!