Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 8th, 2017 06:00

Inspiron 15 7577 static noises on speakers and delayed notification sounds

Hi, Dell Community,

I have some problems with the sound on a Dell Inspiron 15 7577 running Windows 10 Pro Creators Update (with the latest quality updates), all latest drivers installed. The laptop is configured with i7, 16GB, 256 SSD + 1TB, GTX 1060.

First: I have discovered that if I plug in external speakers after I have booted the laptop and if I adjust the volume or play a Youtube video for example, there is a static glitchy sound before the audio starts - as if the sound card is activated. A quieter noise is heard when the audio stops - again, as if the sound card is shut down (to conserve battery?) If I boot the laptop with the speakers plugged in, this doesn't happen, so I believe it's a matter of a software glitch that should be addressed in a future BIOS update. Of course I have tested the speakers separately and they're fine. All of this happens with the laptop plugged in. The issue is resolved if you put the laptop to sleep and then wake it again. Still, it's quite inconvenient.

Second: I have noticed serious lagginess with the notification sounds. If I am playing some music, it seems the notifications are OK and on time. But if no sound is playing the UAC prompts or confirmation prompt sounds play 1-2 seconds after the popup appears or they don't play at all. Taskbar notifications seem to work a bit better. Maybe again it's a matter of keeping the sound card *alive*?

Does anyone have the same problems? I believe these are software bugs that need to be addressed in bios/driver updates. I still think I'll be returning this laptop. This and the video lagginess, introduced by Optimus (link below) are a bit too much of a compromise for a relatively expensive multimedia/gaming machine!

Video problems: en.community.dell.com/.../20025355

Thanks in advance!

December 9th, 2017 08:00

December 9th, 2017 08:00

Thanks, I have a Inspiron 15 7577 on order and shipping keeps getting delayed, now I know why.

December 9th, 2017 12:00

Thanks for your answer seven.7777777s, but does the thread you suggest have anything to do with problems with the sound I am experiencing? As far as I can see it concerns the video issues... Thanks.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

December 10th, 2017 20:00

The delayed sound is something I do not see on my 7567 however, I do see it on the XPS 13 9365.

It may not be relevant but I am not running the Dell utilities on the 7567 but I am on the 9365.  But I am not yet able to claim the delay is based on anything Dell is doing..  

I will spend some time on this tomorrow to see if I can pin it down.

The static in the sound will happen if a processor is running slow and overloaded.  I also heard it the other day when I was installing new audio drivers.  After I reinstalled the drivers, after removing the prior version, the sound has not had the static.

December 11th, 2017 00:00

Hi, Saltgrass, thanks for your input. Yesterday I played a bit and I can confirm that it is largely a driver issue. As far as I can see it has nothing to do with the CPU load as all the testing I did was under normal load.

What I did was block the installation of the Realtek sound driver using Group Policy settings, thus forcing Windows 10 to use the default drivers which show the Realtek sound card in the Device Manager simply as a "High Definition Audio Device". It's a bit of a pain to set as Windows 10 automatically downloads the Realtek driver (horrible Windows 10) and you have to first get the hardware IDs of the sound card , then disconnect from the net, uninstall the Realtek driver, restart, then block any drivers from installing on these hardware IDs, restart again, get back on the internet.

I haven't done extensive testing but from what I can see the delay is gone (although UAC prompt sound is not played sometimes, if you for example set the volume and then directly trigger the UAC prompt), also the static sound on external speakers seems to be gone. I haven't seen any adverse effects from not installing the Realtek drivers, the sound and mic are working fine. Of course, you lose all the EQ modes and settings, as the Realtek sound settings panel is gone.

All of this suggests to me that Dell, Realtek and Microsoft should get their act together and fix this thing, as it's a software bug. So, come on, people, fix your software! We buy these machines mainly for multimedia and games, so it's not fine if the video & sound are not working properly!

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

December 14th, 2017 12:00

You might try opening the Playback dialog window from the speaker icon on the Taskbar.  Leave it open and check if it helps in the delayed sound situation.

No Events found!