appex213
1 Nickel

RE: Inspiron 15 Gaming BSOD after updating nVidia driver

Jump to solution

I did, same problem. It seems that only 378.49 and the one that comes pre-installed works properly.

0 Kudos
urbanato
1 Copper

Jump to solution

We're not getting to the point where we select the GPU. This has got to be a bigger issue with games like Andromeda having just came out. We're stuck without a gameready driver because of your buggy platform. Not only that but your customers that can't figure out how to get safe mode are completely stuck. They can't come to your forum and complain.The default GPU should already or automatically configuring to the high performance GPU.

urbanato
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I'm going to save you guys a lot of trouble. There is clearly no fix for this that is working no matter the order in which you download, install, or clean. You can at least get to the login screen. When at the login screen, hold down shift while hitting the restart button. Set this to reboot in safe mode. Download and install www.guru3d.com/.../display-driver-uninstaller-download.html. Clean the driver with restart. DO NOT INSTALL THE MOST RECENT DRIVER. You're going to be in a world of pain and agony. You'll find yourself wishing you never bought a dell. NEXT STEP. Install 378.49 after your system comes up. Restart. Change default GPU - http://dell.to/2lSJCjR NEXT. Enjoy your old drivers because dell will not help you. Save yourself 8 hours of dell support and 10 hours of figuring this <profanity> out and just RELENT. You can not change Dell's release schedule. Lets hope they release a driver soon that works right on the DELL side. ALSO, updating your firmware to 1.04 will do no <profanity> good. Installing drivers in a specific order. NO GOOD. Enjoy the FIX and also enjoy your laptop you just paid over a grand for that will take months to work appropriately due to poor support and <profanity> drivers.

oonter
1 Copper

Jump to solution

i would also like to complain about this issue. i have just downloaded older drivers and i hope they will work (with battlefield 1 in my case). for now, at least the blue screens don't happen anymore. i hope i will get informed about new drivers that will work.

but it is outrageous that such things can happen in a new laptop  (and the customer service in my country (poland) did not adress my problem, offering system reinstall...).

my new dell brings back memories about the good old 90s when you really suffered and had to put a lot of effort to make your machine work.

0 Kudos
oonter
1 Copper

Jump to solution

For those mad at DELL - apparently this issue happens also on other laptops (ASUS) with 1050Ti and has not been fixed since 3 updates. So you can channel your bad thoughts elsewhere.

Highlighted
Turboman750
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I purchased the same laptop and I'm experiencing the same issue.

There has been some issue with dell keeping up to date with the latest Nvidia drivers for the discrete GPU (you can't take regular NV gpu updates from NV experience unless you want to deal with BSOD GPU fatal errors) . From what I have read this notebook employs Nvidia Optimus technology- in short it uses the Intel GPU (on CPU) for low power applications and then seamlessly hands off to the GTX when the workload becomes too much (gaming). There is no way to disable this handoff from within bios NV control panel or windows power management to use only the GTX. Using any other than the dell supplied driver will result in extreme system instability and frequent crashes. Using the dell supplied drivers your new 1050 Ti is about 15-20% lower performing than on the newer (but unstable) NV supplied drivers.

This is a huge issue for Dell and I urge them to fix this ASAP for when ACER and Lenovo have their laptops flood the market, there will be absolutely no reason to choose Dell when there is this driver conflict.  Acer and Lenovo machines will perform significantly better and have support for all of the latest games while Dell is stuck with a driver from late 2015/early 2016.

Redfell
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Wish I had known of this issue before. It definitely would have influenced my purchase - I'm not happy to own a laptop I can't even update normally, especially that some games are particularly sensitive of drivers versions. See the newly release Mass Effect, for example.

0 Kudos
Redfell
1 Copper

Jump to solution

This isn't only happening on Dell devices; Asus and Acer users are also reporting the same issue on the Nvidia forums, though no official response from Nvidia yet as far as I could tell.

0 Kudos
urbanato
1 Copper

Jump to solution

381.65 has resolved the issue and is available for download. Directions are below as received by Dell before but with an updated driver link. Everyone please come check it out. You'll definitely be satisfied that NVIDIA finally got an answer to our complaints. Make sure you set the default video processor just incase. Also, this is validated even after a reboot with 1.05 for bios. Enjoy the fix!

Do a clean install of the graphics card driver 
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the Nvidia graphics driver.
- Next is to open Programs and Features then uninstall anything related to Nvidia.
- Once done, download and install the latest driver.
- Here's the link: www.geforce.com/.../117271
- Reboot the laptop once the latest driver has been installed.
- After the reboot do set Nvidia as the default GPU.
- Here's how: http://dell.to/2lSSOVv...

LuigiV
1 Copper

Jump to solution

1. uninstalled all nvidia drv and uninstall 1050ti by Device Manager

2. Installed Windows 10 Creators update

3. install drv of 1050ti from windows update

4. downloaded the latest drv 381.65 from Nvidia's web page

5. Custom installation, disabling installation of GeForce Experience (everything else)

6. reboot (to see if I still had BSOD)

7. started win10 with no problems Smiley Happy

8. 1050ti configured as the preferred graphics processor, and how PhysX processor

for now it all works

Ciao

0 Kudos