Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 5th, 2017 06:00

Inspiron 15 Gaming BSOD after updating nVidia driver

I've recently bought a Inspiron 15 Gaming 7567 laptop and everything worked fine, but then I had to update the graphics driver to the new version since it did not support BF1, but after I updated it I keep getting BSOD about 30 seconds after boot, and had to roll back the driver to the one that came with the laptop. The BSOD error is "video_dxgkrnl_fatal_error".

So now I'm stuck with an old driver that doesn't support new games or a laptop that crashes after boot.

Any ideas on how to fix this? I just bought this laptop and it's really annoying to hve a major problem like this right away.

12 Posts

March 24th, 2017 17:00

I purchased the same laptop and I'm experiencing the same issue.

There has been some issue with dell keeping up to date with the latest Nvidia drivers for the discrete GPU (you can't take regular NV gpu updates from NV experience unless you want to deal with BSOD GPU fatal errors) . From what I have read this notebook employs Nvidia Optimus technology- in short it uses the Intel GPU (on CPU) for low power applications and then seamlessly hands off to the GTX when the workload becomes too much (gaming). There is no way to disable this handoff from within bios NV control panel or windows power management to use only the GTX. Using any other than the dell supplied driver will result in extreme system instability and frequent crashes. Using the dell supplied drivers your new 1050 Ti is about 15-20% lower performing than on the newer (but unstable) NV supplied drivers.

This is a huge issue for Dell and I urge them to fix this ASAP for when ACER and Lenovo have their laptops flood the market, there will be absolutely no reason to choose Dell when there is this driver conflict.  Acer and Lenovo machines will perform significantly better and have support for all of the latest games while Dell is stuck with a driver from late 2015/early 2016.

2 Posts

March 25th, 2017 17:00

Wish I had known of this issue before. It definitely would have influenced my purchase - I'm not happy to own a laptop I can't even update normally, especially that some games are particularly sensitive of drivers versions. See the newly release Mass Effect, for example.

2 Posts

March 31st, 2017 09:00

This isn't only happening on Dell devices; Asus and Acer users are also reporting the same issue on the Nvidia forums, though no official response from Nvidia yet as far as I could tell.

4 Posts

April 8th, 2017 08:00

1. uninstalled all nvidia drv and uninstall 1050ti by Device Manager

2. Installed Windows 10 Creators update

3. install drv of 1050ti from windows update

4. downloaded the latest drv 381.65 from Nvidia's web page

5. Custom installation, disabling installation of GeForce Experience (everything else)

6. reboot (to see if I still had BSOD)

7. started win10 with no problems :)

8. 1050ti configured as the preferred graphics processor, and how PhysX processor

for now it all works

Ciao

No Events found!