mz7181
1 Copper

Re: Inspiron 1501 memory limits

Hi,

The most RAM your dell inspiron can handle is a 2 x1 GB RAM as i have one of these laptops myself and bought a 4GB RAM and it couldn't handle the RAM.

So don't buy anyhting bigger.

0 Kudos
neal_nelson
1 Copper

Before you give advice you should read the entire thread.  People upgrading to a 64-bit Operating System are able to use more ram. 

0 Kudos
mz7181
1 Copper

well that's a bunch of <ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character  removed as per TOU> and you know it is. mine is a 64-bit. i'm a professional at this. so before you try and tell me that i'm wrong you should try it first. i run a 64-bit windows 7 on mine and 2 X 1 GB is all it can handle.

0 Kudos
Big_D_Bobby
1 Copper

Ok well Several of us on here have had no issue running 4 or even 8GB on a 64 bit OS on the 1501 .... So Perhaps you bought the wrong speed or voltage for the Modules? Or just plain got unlucky and purchased an incompatible brand!

It does occasionally happen. I am sure this is your particular issue. I bought 2x2GB modules and they worked great with Win 7 Professional 64 Bit recognizing all 4 gigs. Many have reported they used 2x4GB modules and a 64Bit OS and had all 8GB.

I wonder did you flash the BIOS first to the most recent BIOS ?

what speed and Brand memory did you use?

I hope you did not mix the module brands or specs , did you ?

So Let Me Know,  and I can help you get yours working with more than just 2x1GB.

That way I dont have to tell you that you are wrong, I am sure for whatever reason yours isnt right now so you are right

but only on your specific machine ...

Other Inspiron 1501 have no issue at all what so ever with 64 Bit OS recognizing up to 8GB total using 2x matched modules of the correct speed memory. As for being a professional at this it Might help you to look a bit more professional if you Didn't Curse at the other posters

0 Kudos
Big_D_Bobby
1 Copper

the Dell web site says only 2GB  but it is wrong !

I am running 4GB as we speak and have been for many months, I also added an SSD and it smokes , boots in 17 seconds for Win7 x64 Pro

many on here have used 2x4gb and are running 8GB of Ram in their Inspiron 1501

many are running 2x2gb

Make sure to flash your BIOS to the newest BIOS before you get ready to reinstall everything and add the memory.

also make sure you have all the drivers needed before you start your CLEAN install.

You can bypass most of the DELL bloatware and just put on what you will need

X64 Rocks well at least for crappy MS OS

I myself have it as a dual Boot so I can use Linux for everything except gaming

mz7181
1 Copper

i can't seem to flash my bios. it says error code 1275.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
shadow460
2 Iron

In Dell's defense, the Inspiron 1501 did ship with a 32 bit operating system. Such an OS would only recognize the entire amount of installed RAM up to roughly 2.5 GB. That amount of RAM would require mismatched modules which puts the system into single channel mode. The next higher amount over 2GB that can be installed with matching modules is 4GB.

Imagine the calls to customer support if the end users installed 4GB like I have and the operating system only showed 2.4 GB. The easy solution is to list the maximum supported memory as 2GB even though the Radeon Xpress 1150 chipset can handle something ridiculous like 8 or 16 GB.

0 Kudos
Big_D_Bobby
1 Copper

Uh Oh that does not sound so good, what version of BIOS are you using ? perhaps it will still recognize different modules from a different manufacturer. Hold on and I will look up which memory I bought that did work on my machine.

0 Kudos
Big_D_Bobby
1 Copper

Kingston HyperX 2GB 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 533 (PC2 4200) Laptop Memory Model KHX4200S2LL/2G

I used 2 of these modules and they worked great as they were lowest latency I could find

I also used this module in a very similar Inspiron model from around the same time and it worked fine as well,

I believe it defaulted to the 533 speed   but 2 of these worked as well for 4GB on the 64 Bit OS

G.SKILL 2GB 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Laptop Memory Model F2-5300CL4S-2GBSQ

0 Kudos
Big_D_Bobby
1 Copper

I also installed this SATAII SSD into the SATA I interface of the 1501 Inspiron and it worked great , in fact it worked at speeds you would expect of a SATA II and almost as fast as a SATA II SSD !  

0 Kudos