Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 29th, 2009 12:00

Inspiron 1520 Start Up Issues

I bought an Inspiron 1520 in 2008 (Vista 32bit Home OS) and have recently began having start up issues.  When I initially boot up my PC the log-in screen comes up fine, I can type in my password, hit enter and it moves on.  However, it will load my desktop but as soon as I go to click on anything (My Computer, "Start", anything) it will just sit there.....and sit there....and sit there....The screen will flash a couple times and eventually fade to a white screen where it sits idle and makes zero advances.

I ran "chkdsk" along with every diagnostic test I could get my hands on.  I received the following error codes: "0142", "0F00:0244"

Last night I ran the repair utility after booting the OS disk from the CD Drive and it said it found some corrupt data that it had repaired.  I have not had a chance to see if that has solved the problem.

I apologize for my nievete, but can someone help me with what the issue might be and possible solutions?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

The hard drive has developed bad sectors and should be replaced.  You'll need a new 2.5" 9.5 mm SATA notebook hard drive.  If you don't have a copy of Windows, you will need and can order one:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/backupcd_form?c=us&l=en&s=gen&redirect=1

5 Posts

Is there any chance of any utility being able to repair the bad sectors?  Or is this something that is unrepairable?

Second questions.....

I've never replaced a harddrive in a laptop before; I've done it on a desktop and I've replaced RAM in a laptop but never a harddrive.  Is this something your average lay person could do?

Thanks for your help, it is much appreciated!

No Events found!