Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 13th, 2010 23:00

Inspiron 1525 mic in port problem

Hi there! I have an Inspiron 1525 laptop with Windows XP installed. I have installed the latest audio driver for XP, which is (R180044.exe). I want to use the mic-in port of the laptop, but when I plug external microphone there, it doesn't work. I have tried with all the possible configurations (from the volume control options -> recording devices). When I plug some microphone in the mic-in port, the sigmatel software detects that there is something plugged in, but I cannot hear the sound from the microphone in the headphones. I have tried to boost the mic volume too.

If there is nothing plugged in the mic-in port, inbuilt mic works fine and I hear what I speak.

I want to use the mic-in port to plug my electric guitar, so I've tried to plug it in too, but again hear no sound in the headphones. I've also tried with other external microphone, so I am 100% sure that this is not microphone problem. Just can't hear nothing in the headphones.

I would appreciate if anyone could help. Thanks in advance.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

February 14th, 2010 05:00

Try recording with the mic. If it can record okay then it is working as Dell intended. They have monitoring turned off by default. Take a look at the thread How to Enable Input Monitoring and try the steps in Instruction Set 2. It might not work with R180044 though. The Registry keys that are described in the instructions are placed in the Registry by the driver, so if your Registry does not have the lines as described then you have to enter the lines manually. Instruction Set 4 describes how to type in a new key, but you want to copy the lines from Instruction Set 2.

Or you could use a different driver.  R153908 was the driver folks used on the 1525 before Dell released the R180044 but it was difficult to install.. If you can install R153908 then the Registry should have the lines described in the instructions.

2 Posts

February 16th, 2010 12:00

I have tried recording with the mic, and recorded sound was from the internal speaker.

Then I have tried and performed all the steps from the Instruction Set 3. The result - now the external microphone works. But there is a problem - I can hear only one channel. Of course microphone or electric guitar is not stereo, but it's still a little bit annoying listening only at the one earphone :emotion-1: I suppose I will look into the problem again. Will be glad to hear any suggestions.

Thank you very much, jimco. So this solution obviously works on R180044 too.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

February 16th, 2010 18:00

Thanks for the feedback; I will edit the instructions to include this.

I "think" you can get a mono-to-stereo adapter for your guitar plug. Try Radio Shack's web site or someplace like that. It won't make the guitar stereo of course but rather dual mono which ought to get audio to both earpieces..

No Events found!