Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 9th, 2009 15:00

Inspiron 1525 touchpad problems

I have had many problems over the past few weeks with my 2 month old Inspiron 1525's touchpad. I wonder if anyone out there has experienced anything similar.

Sometimes the pad would register touches that were not happening, causing the arrow to fly all over the screen and be uncontrollable.

Less frequently the pad would not make the arrow move at all.

And sometimes it would work perfectly fine.

Now that I have adjusted the touchpad settings to a heavier touch it seems to be working okay but now the scroll bars on the bottom and side of the pad do not make the screen scroll anymore and I have to use the arrow keys to scroll. This whole experience has been very frustrating. When something as basic as the touchpad doesn't work, it is very difficult to use one's computer.

Anyone had similar experiences or can offer any advice, it would be appreciated.

4.6K Posts

April 10th, 2009 07:00

Welcome to the forums :emotion-21:

It may turn out to be a problem with the touchpad - in which case you'll need to contact tech support.

But try reinstalling/updating the touchpad drivers first, to see if they help?

Get the latest drivers from the Inspiron 1525 'Drivers & Downloads' page - a link to which you'll find at the bottom of this page - under 'Support'.

3 Posts

April 10th, 2009 15:00

Hi thanks for your response. I had two interactions with tech support, both very positive and very helpful. Both times I allowed the tech to remotely access my computer. The first tech reinstalled the touchpad drivers. Unfortunately this did not fix the problem. After this, I went into the touchpad settings and adjusted them for a heavier touch. This stopped the cursor from flying around but I then lost scrolling and that was when I had made my post.

Later that evening  the second tech went into the system and made some adjustments to the settings and the scrolling came back and so far everything is working fine. However, I will not be certain until some time has passed that the problem has been permanently fixed. But the tech was extremely helpful and polite and gave me her contact information. She told me that if the problems reoccur that Dell will send a repair person out to install a new touchpad.

I will also try using the link referenced for the 'Drivers and Downloads' page.

I wonder if this problem could be related to any programs I may have downloaded like Quicktime, Gametap, etc. because the problem started so suddenly and for no apparent reason. Does anyone know of an occasion where the touchpad has been affected by other software?

Also sometimes the temperature of the pad gets pretty hot. I guess this is normal.

As always, all replies are appreciated.

3 Posts

April 26th, 2009 15:00

Well my father was here the other night, about 3 days ago and we went to two different websites and the touchpad acted up again, sometimes cursor uncontrollable, other times unresponsive. It lasted about 6 minutes and then it went back to normal and has been normal since then. I contacted Dell's tech support again and told them I wanted someone to come out and physically replace the touchpad. They responded by telling me to do more testing. But these did not produce any abnormal results and always show the touchpad as working perfectly because it is at the time of the test.

It is very difficult with a problem that occurs only occasionally and not all the time. Am I wrong to expect the touchpad to not have these periodic malfunctions? I don't think it is a normal thing.

I think what I will do for now is contact tech support again and begin to keep records of the dates and times the touchpad malfunctions. Also I will try to perform the testing specifically when it is malfunctioning.

No Events found!