Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 17th, 2009 11:00

Inspiron 1525 vista x64 built in microphone problem

Inspiron 1525.  Sigmatel HD Audio driver. Windows Vista x64

I understand Dell doesn't support Vista x64 for the 1525, but I have some computer savvy and scrounged up the drivers from other dell systems.

I am trying to record streaming audio from a radio station with adobe soundbooth.

The problem is that it is also picking up audio from the built in microphone next to the built in webcam.  There is no way to control the level of the mic separate from other sound nor can I disable the mic. If I turn down the mic volume in the Dell Webcam Center audio controls, it turns down the levels of all of the audio in Soundbooth (although I can still hear the streaming audio through the speakers.   In the Sound properties dialog box, under the Recording tab, there is only the "Microphone / Line In"  and "Microphone Array" and this is with "Show disabled devices" enabled.  If I disable "Microphone Array", I can still hear the streaming audio through the speakers, however, no audio records.

Why Vista got rid of the advanced recording controls that XP had, I have no idea.  XP has separate controls for Wave, Mic, Spdif/midi, and others but most importantly: What you hear.

So, this seems to be a problem with the Sigmatel drivers or maybe Vista's audio.  I am curious to see what would happen if I install XP on this setup, but that would be alot of work and I don't want to lose out on the benefits of a 64bit OS.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

July 17th, 2009 11:00

You are probably recording the output of the speakers through the mic. There is no audio driver that Dell supplies for the 1525 that allows it to internally record streaming audio (stereo mix or whatyouhear), whether in XP or Vista. Some of the other models have it in XP, but not yours. You would need to get an external sound card that has whatyouhear.

7 Posts

July 17th, 2009 14:00

its not recording the speaker output through the mic because I am using Headphones.  It is internally recording the streaming audio along with the mic.

With XP, I could mute the mic while still having the Wave or Stereo mix right?

the problem here is that the Built-In mic doesn't have a separate control.  It's just this "Microphone Array" that controls all of the sound together.  It does have a separate control for the front panel mic, but there is no mic connected there and so not an issue.  It's the Built-In mic that I want to disable without disabling the entire sound card.

No Events found!