Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 15th, 2012 11:00

Inspiron 1526 Blank Screen

Hello everyone, after 5 hours of searching the net with only limitied & patial answers, I turn to you to try & put the pieces of info I have into a solution.

The lap top will start, all the lights seem to be normal, can feel the vibration of the Hard Drive, but the screen is Blank (Black).  When I push the power button, the screen does flash (sort of white) then to black where it stays.  Have tried the function keys, trying to brighten the display, no change.

Hooked up an external monitor, toggled through the function key (CRT/LCD) it just stayed black.

Ran the (BIST), the colors flash on the screen, I think it passed, but not sure as the screen is still black.

Any suggestions, hints as what to do next?

Thank you........ 

4.4K Posts

October 15th, 2012 21:00

Hi Yummaaa,

Welcome to the Community,

If you're not getting display even on external monitor it could be a problem with the Video card.

I would suggest you to tap F2 on start up and check if the system displays the BIOS screen.If there is no display try running the onboard diagnostics,press and hold down Fn key,while holding it down press power button to turn on the system,if you don't see any display but if you hear some beep sounds,it means the test is running.

If there is no display on BIOS screen  and also while running the onboard diagnostics,most likely its a problem with the video card which may need to be replaced.

Thank You

4 Posts

October 17th, 2012 09:00

Thank you for the prompt response Roshan,

I turned on the computer while tapping F2, & the 3 icons (Number lock, Cap lock, & 3rd icon (not sure what it is for) were as follows, Num Lock not lit up, the Cap Lock & 3rd icon were blinking blue, so I hard booted off & tried again, the lights were no longer blinking & the screen was still black, the BIOS did NOT display.

Then I hard booted off & then held down the Fn key while pressing the power button, there was no sound, NO display AND the Number Lock icon was now flashing blue while the Cap Lock & 3rd icon were solid blue.

Does any of this mean anything?

Are there any other tests that I can do?

If the video card has a problem, is it separate from the motherboard?

Can I purchase a video card from Dell & replace it myself?  (I've built desktops before, I should be able to do it myself)

Please advise,

Thank you......

4.4K Posts

October 17th, 2012 23:00

Hi  Yummaaa,

Keyboard status lights(Num Lock,Caps Lock,Scroll Lock) can be used as diagnostic indicator.The keyboard status lights lit in a sequence indicates the following problem:

As per the sequence of the status light which you have reported while try to run the diagnostics,it indicates a motherboard failure Reconfirm the sequence of status light by trying to run the diagnostics again.If the sequence remains the same you may need to get the motherboard replaced.

4 Posts

October 18th, 2012 14:00

Hi Roshan - thank you again,  I Held down the Fn key while pressing the On button & the following is the sequence of lights,  

ON Flashing Flashing then I hard booted off & just powered up & got the same sequence.

The chart you sent me states "No Ram"

Could the Ram have come loose & this is why it's giving me the error?

Does the Display need Ram to Light-up?  Does this make sense?

Please advise

p.s. Is the Ram located under the middle panel on the bottom of the laptop?

4.4K Posts

October 19th, 2012 01:00

Hi Yummaaa,

Try removing and reseating the RAM (memory modules).

Refer to this link for steps to remove and replace memory modules :

Note:If there are two memory modules installed,swap the slots while reconnecting and if that does not help try booting system with one memory module installed at a time.If need be try the same memory module on both the slots.

Display does need RAM directly,however the system may not start or complete POST (Power On Self Test  It is a diagnostic program built into the computer's hardware that tests different hardware components before the computer boots up) if there is an issue with RAM.

Let me know if reseating memory modules helps.

Thank You

4 Posts

October 20th, 2012 22:00

Hi Roshan, I swapped the memory in every configuration possible, & every time I recieved the same result, Number Lock ON, & the last 2 flashing.....   what do you think it means?  Do you know of any other tests?

Please advise....

4.4K Posts

October 25th, 2012 07:00

Hi Yummaaa,

Sorry for the delay in response.

As per the diagnostic LEDs it says No RAM.Since you've swapped the memory modules with no affect,it could be an issue with the memory module connector ports(part of motherboard) or as a whole the motherboard may have an issue.I am afraid there are no further diagnostics which I can suggest.

However you can probably get the system checked by local technician to find out if the motherboard needs a replacement.

January 14th, 2013 00:00

im having a problem with my laptop.. no screen when i open it. light just a second then black screen after

ON

Num Lock

OFF

Caps Lock

FLASHING

Scroll Lock

Device Status Lights

ON

Power Light

OFF (when i press the power button it turn on for 5sec the turn off)

Hard drive activity light

-------

Battery Status/wifi/bluetooth

4.4K Posts

January 15th, 2013 01:00

Hi sherwinollero,

Try releasing flea power.Diconnect AC adapter,remove battery,disconnect all external peripherals(USB devices),press and hold down power button for 30 seconds.

Reconnect battery and AC adapter,try to turn on system.If the issue persists try to run onboard diagnostics by pressing and holding down Fn key while turning on the system.

Do you hear any beep sound?Any change in the light sequence(Num lock,Caps lock,Scroll lock)?

Thank You

January 17th, 2013 03:00

i tried what you said but still the same. scroll lock still flashing and no screen display..

theres no beep sound and no light sequence just scroll lock flashing

4.4K Posts

January 17th, 2013 23:00

Hi  sherwinollero,

Since there is no pattern/sequence indicating a particular hardware problem,I would suggest you to remove and reseat few of the components such as HDD,Optical and memory (RAM).

For steps to remove and replace parts refer to this link from service manual :

Note:If there are two memory modules installed,swap the slots while reconnecting and if that does not help try booting system with one memory module installed at a time.If need be try the same memory module on both the slots.

2 Posts

July 5th, 2014 20:00

Hello. I  have the same problem. Black screen with ON-FLASH-FLASH. pulled out the memory cards already, put them back in place the same way (top one one top, bottom on bottom) switched them (top in bottom andbottom on top) andiI still get tge same flashing lights with still a black screen. Please help!

No Events found!