Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 21st, 2012 20:00

Inspiron 1545 Overheating/other issues

Hello all,

I have an Inspiron 1545 Dell laptop, with Window's vista home basic, and a type X2854G 11.1V rechargeable Li-ion battery. The warranty has expired, (the laptop is approx. 3 years old) and I am having multiple issues.

About a year ago, the battery failed - system says that it has had a catastrophic failure and cannot charge the battery. I have no idea how it happened - I rarely used the laptop on the battery, and always kept it plugged into a good surge protector. But since I never used the battery and couldn't afford to replace it (read: poor college student) I didn't worry about it.

Now my laptop is overheating very quickly, to the point where it will just shut off. It also runs much slower than usual, and will sometimes crash with the blue screen of death.

So: I'm sure that it's infected with a virus or twenty, and that is probably the major reason behind its problems. But is the battery the problem with the overheating, and should I buy a new one? (I'm now a poor college grad) Can someone with minimal computer skills (me) fix the problems, or should I take it into a computer repair shop? Or should I try and completely wipe the hard drive and start over?

Thanks for any advice,

Katie B

ps. please let me know if I need to provide more information about the laptop

June 21st, 2012 21:00

It is possible that their is a failure with one of your hardware that makes your laptop to go on bluescreen. When you ask someone to fix it from a local computer shop, they may suggest for you to have something to be replaced. Either your processor, GPU, or just your fan. With regards to your battery problem, were you removing it whenever you plug the charger in if you're not going to use your battery?

June 21st, 2012 21:00

Hi,

My name is Ragni and I work for the Social Media and Community Team at Dell.

It seems that there are multiple problems with the computer. Let’s see if we can resolve the problem.

First, the battery life depends on the usage of the computer, If we plug the charger all the time it over-charges the battery which affects the battery life.

Please confirm which part of the laptop is over-heating.

We should go ahead and update the BIOS of the computer which could resolve the problem for over-heating and intermittent shutdown..

Please visit:- www.dell.com/.../DriversHome

Select the operating system (vista 32 or 64 bit), Select BIOS and download the file

Make sure the charger is plugged in to the laptop and the battery is at least 10% charged the computer would automatically shut down.

Also, if the computer shuts down again, Please go to Bios and see if the computer shuts down there .

Keep the system in BIOS for atleast 20-30 minutes.

Steps to Enter BIOS:- Shutdown the computer, turn on the computer, before the Dell logo Tap the F2 key 10-15 times.

NOTE: Computer overheating could also be because of the dust clogged in the air vents or fan

Please revert for further queries

Thanks

Dell-Ragni

Dell | Social Media Outreach | Global Social Media & Community

3 Posts

March 9th, 2013 03:00

This video should show you how to sort the overheating problem.  Its a simple fix.

www.youtube.com/watch

2 Posts

June 13th, 2013 20:00

I see someone responded...I just signed up tonight so I didn't see everyone else's comments...yikes.. I fee silly..haha

I did find the answer helpful

2 Posts

June 13th, 2013 20:00

I also bought an Inspiron 1545 laptop, added upgrades, it was my first laptop and loved it. Mine did the same thing as yours and really crashed one night. I was in a panic because semester was starting and I didn't have the money (cash)  to fix. I kept it and fortunately did have a line of credit from Dell and bought a new laptop. The new laptop was acting up tonight so I was in a panic again, I thought to myself I now have 2 laptops that don't work and I don't abuse them. Don't bog them down with all the games and crap. I pulled the old one out tonight and gave it another try. I pulled out the old charger and everything. I was able to get it running and ran a recovery and it seems I have everything back BUT after the 30 min of work the battery and charger were HOT. Now I'm looking back and remember the laptop battery getting hot. I didn't know anything different then though...until I got my new laptop and its doesn't get hot. I think there is def a problem. I think the battery is a problem.. I'm surprised no-one has responded to your post. I'm going to call Dell within the week and see what they say. I will respond again if I get any information from them.

2.6K Posts

June 13th, 2013 23:00

Hello Jake191,

There are couple of steps I would suggest, which might help us in fixing the issue: 

• Draining the residual power.
    Disconnect all the peripherals from the computer including the battery and the ac adapter and release the flea power by pressing and holding the power button for 5 to 10 seconds and check.

• Try Updating the BIOS to the latest version.
    **NOTE: Few things to ensure before updating the Bios is, the Ac Adapter should be plugged in and the battery should have minimum of 15% charge. No other external peripherals should be connected to the computer. Please ensure that the Bios update should not be interrupted else it would damage the motherboard. 

I would also suggest you try the suggestions mentioned in the article on Dell Laptop is overheating or is having a heat issue.

Hope this helps! 

No Events found!