Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 7th, 2016 14:00

Inspiron 1545 Windows 10 reset failed, now laptop is dead

Hi: I have a 5-year old Inspiron 1545 that come with Windows 7 Professional 64. A few months ago I upgraded it to Windows 10, but after a recent upgrade we had so many issues that I decided to do a reset. I started the Windows 10 reset process, but it stalled after many hours, so I rebooted and started it again a couple of times with the same result. The third time I tried to do this, it sat at 1% for 20 hours. The next time I rebooted it simply didn't respond. I tried accessing the original Recovery partition, but it seems inaccessible (tried F8, Ctrl-F11, etc.) I booted into Onboard NIC, but it says there are no bootable devices. I tried booting to Windows 7 Pro installation DVD, but it wouldn't load. Any ideas?

10 Posts

February 8th, 2016 02:00

I'm still running a diagnostic on the hard drive, but trouble has already shown up, so you're probably right. Thanks for the response.

53 Posts

February 7th, 2016 15:00

I would honestly say that your hardrive is corrupted and has a bad sector or sectors. Leaving you laptop on for such amount of time has overheated the hard drive and I'm afraid it's time to buy a new one. The same thing happened to me on an Acer when I tried to reinstall the OS from discs. I bought a new hard drive and there was no problem with the installation.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 7th, 2016 15:00

Sounds like a bad hard drive -- to confirm, press F12 at powerup, boot to the Dell diagnostics and run an extended test on the hard drive.

No Events found!