Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 5th, 2017 04:00

Inspiron 15r SE 7520 randomly turns off

Hi there,

I have a Inspiron 7520 which is quite old now. It worked well for years, but a couple of weeks ago started making a loud whirring noise. From reading other forum posts about this model, I am pretty sure it was from the fan (laptop has always been pretty hot). The noise would start whenever the laptop had to do more processor-heavy tasks, like play video or games, or run multiple applications.

I should have done more about it, but all I did was try and blow out the vents, which helped a bit. Anyway, the noise stopped this week, but now the laptop just turns off without warning. It turns off at around the same time the fan would have become loud - ie. when it was having to do more than just browse the 'net (which I can do for hours without an issue - it just dies if i try to play a game, etc).

From reading other forums and some googling, my guess is the fan might have stopped working altogether, and now the laptop just turns off when the fan would have kicked in.

Can anyone confirm if my analysis might be right? And if so, would replacing the fan solve the problem, or is the damage more serious / widespread now?

Thanks, Tom.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

July 7th, 2017 07:00

:emotion-2:

I'm assuming windows 10 is on the system.....

I'd suggest you run diagnostic tool to check hardware on the system. Please follow steps below:

1. Power off system. Remove all peripherals except AC adapter.

2. Power on system, quickly start tapping F12 key continuously until you see Preparing one time boot menu in the top right corner of the screen. In the boot menu, stroll down to Diagnostic and then click on it. After quick tests, click on Processor fan and then Thorough Test Mode. Report back any error code.

No Events found!