Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 23rd, 2014 20:00

Inspiron 17 randomly stops recognizing A/C adapter

Occasionally, my laptop will think that I have unplugged it. I'll be on my laptop, working like normal and suddenly the screen will flash, and then dim and the battery icon in the system tray will change from a battery with a plug, to just a battery. The A/C adapter's green led light remains on. After a “while”, the screen will flash again, then brighten and the battery icon changes back from just a battery to a battery with a plug.

It is as if I have unplugged the power supply, but I actually have not even touched the cord.

This event has happened 8-10 times in the past 3 months. The amount of time it takes the laptop to recognize that the A/C adapter is still present varies from about one minute to 3-4 hours.

I have checked the connection of the adapter to the laptop, and the connection of the adapter to the wall socket. The wall socket is functioning – tested with a lamp. The adapter is the one I received with my laptop about 9 months ago. I don’t have any other adapter to try.

I typically use my laptop while it is sitting on a table, plugged in. I don’t move it around very much. But, this did happen one time when I was in a different room, with a different wall socket.

I have an Inspiron 17 Notebook (3721) with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Since I am nearing my one year mark, I am getting more concerned about warranty. Any ideas on what is going wrong?

Thanks for the help.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

April 23rd, 2014 20:00

Hi KathleenW,

I would suggest that you run the diagnostics on the computer by following the steps mentioned in the video below and check if there is any issue with the hardware on your system.

http://dell.to/164l6g4

Also, I would suggest you to update the BIOS on the system and rerun the diagnostics for issue resolution. Please enter your service tag # on the link below and click on ‘Get drivers and downloads’then download the BIOS from BIOS section onto the system and install it.

http://dell.to/18r60nI

Please let me know if this helps.

2 Posts

April 24th, 2014 10:00

Hello Ravi CH,

I did as you suggested - ran the diagnostics, including the extended tests. It reported that everything is A-OK.

I also updated the BIOS (and all the other updates from Dell), as you suggested.

At this point, I have saved the instructions for the diagnostics. The next time my laptop gets confused about its A/C adapter, I will run the diagnostics right then.

Thanks.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

April 28th, 2014 10:00

Hi KathleenW,

After the BIOS update you should not face any concern in regards with the AC adapter not charging the battery. Please reply us if you face any concerns.

No Events found!