Highlighted
rusheto
1 Copper

Inspiron 1720 - No External Mic since moved to Windows 7

Hi, Since I upgraded to Windows 7 Home Premium 32 Bit from Vista, my external Mic no longer works. Built in Mic is ok.

It's an Inspiron 1720.

I have deleted and reinstalled the latest Sigmatel driver from Dell. Also reinstalled the Chipset driver. Troubleshooter is not indicating any problems.

I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks !

0 Kudos
22 Replies
c63ab0b21ac244c
3 Argentium

Re: Inspiron 1720 - No External Mic since moved to Windows 7

Hello,

With Windows 7, I've figured out that you must have one of the two set as your default to make the Microphone work. When you go down to the little icon on the task bar at the bottom and you right click the sound icon , and go to Recording Devices, Do you see the option for the External Mic ? If so , i would suggest you put it as the default , and then try it with whichever software you are trying to use it with. Also , depending on the application that you are trying to use , it may not be set up properly to use the proper Microphone.

Let me know how it goes.

Dave.

0 Kudos
rusheto
1 Copper

Sorry for the late reply, but this did not work. I already had one set as default anyway. Tx.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Shadark
1 Copper

Bumping.

I have the same problem, I tried to update with the drivers in Dell page (SIGMATEL STAC 92XX C-Major HD Audio) and it didn't worked. I also have Inspiron 1720.

I hope someone can bring some solution.

0 Kudos
nickwaker
1 Copper

I have precisely the same problem. Tried all the same steps as the previous two posters and have had similar disappointing results. Is there anyone who knows a workaround or an alternate audio driver that will work with this sound card? Please, I use my external mic so, so much.

0 Kudos
Jim Coates
6 Gallium

When installing the Sigmatel driver, did you install the Vista version into 7 using Vista compatibility mode?

Jim Coates -- 15 years on the Dell Laptop Audio boards -- since 2/6/04 

0 Kudos
nickwaker
1 Copper

Definitely a good suggestion, I hadn't thought of that. Unfortunately, I just tried it using plain Vista compatibility mode and the two service pack options and still no luck. Any other options? Thanks for the quick reply, much appreciated.

0 Kudos
Jim Coates
6 Gallium

Well the prompt reply was just a fluke. This is more typical.

Ever since 7 came out people have been having mic problems. I don't know the answer and it seems that Dell is uninterested.

A fellow with an XPS M1330 that has the same Sigmatel  as the 1720 posted that his problem was solved with an IDT driver, and a couple of people with 1525's verified it. Their problem was headset mics not working with Skype in Win 7. Don't know if this would be of any use to you but here is the IDT driver they installed:

IDT 6.10.0.6217, A15, R226903

I don't know how they installed it but I would guess they uninstalled and deleted the Sigmatel driver first.

Jim Coates -- 15 years on the Dell Laptop Audio boards -- since 2/6/04 

0 Kudos
Shadark
1 Copper

Bump. That didn't worked for me. Any more ideas?

0 Kudos
JamesTheExpert
1 Copper

Hi all.  I just fixed this problem on my 1720.

You need to install the sound drivers.  Then it will ask you if the device plugged in is a mic.  The problem is that the sound drivers crash on Windows 7.

Run the driver so that it unzips, then go to the directory that it unzipped to (c:\dell\drivers\RXXXX\).  Right click on setup.exe and select Properties.  Then click on the Compatibility tab.  Check the "Run this program in Compatibility..." box.   Set it to Vista.  Click OK.

Now run Setup.exe and it will install correctly.  It will ask you to restart the computer, then you will be able to select mic for the input jack.

Here is the driver:

0 Kudos