Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 23rd, 2013 07:00

Inspiron 17R SE (7720) - GT650M Graphics Card NOT WORKING

Dell have been working on a fix for several weeks/months for the issue where the Nvidia graphics card either vanishes completely or randomly disappears requiring a reboot to get it recognised by the system

Original post http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19498450.aspx?PageIndex=1

According to @dellcares the Product Team are actively working on a permanent solution - my direct conversations with @dellcares on twitter are now over two weeks long. There is still no guaranteed ETA on a remedy.  

The list of people with this faulty laptop seems to be growing daily - probably because Dell are still selling it, knowing it has a major problem.

Please add your name to this post if you are the owner of this laptop or a similar laptop which is suffering with a vanishing Nvidia GT650M.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

April 29th, 2013 13:00

I know that Royan has been working on the previous thread.  Some users have gone in and completely uninstalled the video drivers and then reinstalled them, and others was able to re-flash their systems to get the Nvidia GPU to be seen in the device manager again.   If you have not private mentioned to Royan regarding the issue please free free to message me.  Just click in the link to my signature and then click start conversation.  In the message please include the service tag of the notebook.

TB

4 Posts

April 23rd, 2013 07:00

I'm having these issues too. Tried almost everything

1 Message

April 28th, 2013 17:00

Same here!

9 Posts

May 11th, 2013 01:00

Any update on this issue yet? It's just too disheartening to see my 17R SE become an expensive paper weight. I've tried everything to fix this, except voodoo magic and human sacrifice...tempting...  

17 Posts

May 17th, 2013 19:00

I have this problem as well two months after the purchase. It is really frustrate to see no solution to it, especially for dell such a large company. Still waiting for the answer... ...

17 Posts

May 17th, 2013 19:00

Could you post a valid solutions here? This problem is becoming popular... ...

chillpcs.com/.../2013

1 Message

May 17th, 2013 22:00

Same issue, here. Reinstalling the video driver seems to work, but this is happening to me every 2-3 weeks, and that's really annoying.

9 Posts

May 20th, 2013 02:00

hey now, come on now Dell...any answers or actions from your side? have you already given up? I've already given up on Dell and I won't be touching any dell products with a 10 ft pole anytime soon.  I'm really disappointed...

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

May 30th, 2013 17:00

I haven't posted here in a while,  I have been speaking with some of you via private messages.  If you haven't yet please update the bios downloaded here.  Download but dont install the latest video drivers for Intel HD and Nvidia and save them to the desktop.  Uninstall both the Intel and Nvidia software from the system and shut down without allowing the system to reinstall the drivers.  Then install the downloaded Intel and Nvidia drivers and see if you continue to have problems with the nvidia drivers installing, or not detecting the nvidia GPU please contact me via private message. 

TB

2 Posts

June 1st, 2013 01:00

now have just the same problem

system even dont see nvidea card - when i try to test the system  with f12,  there is only one card - intel

i got new bios, got new OS, did everything I found in the web - the system still doesnt see my video card

9 Posts

June 2nd, 2013 21:00

Just a question if I may Terry...why do we need to contact you through private email? are there different solutions for individual 7720 R  SE Units? it would be better if all possible solutions proposed by your team are mentioned in this forum. This topic has dragged on for so long. By the way, you have edited your post, which previously mentioned something about bios A15, what happened to this?

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

June 5th, 2013 15:00

All,

Redjap has some good questions.  Flashing the bios and installing the video drivers is the first steps for a solution. I did edit my original post as the link to the BIOS flash wasn't originally working, and I believe that I mentioned that the latest bios were A15, not A14.  If updating the BIOS and drivers don’t help then one of the next possible solutions is a service to replace the GPU.  For that I will need personal information including the service tag, name, address and so forth.  It is for that reason only why I requested the private message.

To recap, if you have updated the latest BIOS (A14) and have tried downloading and installing the latest Intel and Nvidia drivers and it didn’t help please shoot me a private message so we can discuss possible service options.

TB

17 Posts

June 5th, 2013 15:00

I have changed the motherboard from dell service. The laptop works fine now.

I wish I have more time to dig the answer technically, but the things are not always as expected. Anyway, I still checked a lot of document about intel i7 and PCH. It seems the i7 core's default video card is the intel HD 4000 and the external video card controller relies on the internal one. This should all rely on the bios setting which no option exists in the dell laptop. I heard of some other laptops are capable to set the bios to block the internal intel HD video card but I am not sure.

For those who still suffers this problem, I suggest you contact dell service directly to see if there are alternative solutions. Instead of struggling by yourself, the dell service will be more effective.

17 Posts

June 6th, 2013 04:00

My problem happens after updating from A13 to A14 BIOS. By google many other cases, same situations happen to other Dell series as well, such as Alienware, even for more older BIOS. It seems that updating BIOS is one of the trigger to it. My new motherboard is still A13 BIOS, I don't want to take a risk to update the BIOS again since everything is fine. So my suggestion is:

1. If everything works, never update the BIOS.

2. The latest driver might not be the best, don't pursue it for no reason.

3. Changing the chip is much quicker than manipulating the software.

1 Message

June 9th, 2013 01:00

Good lord please fix this problem soon. It's too late for me to return this laptop. 

No Events found!