Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 15th, 2016 19:00

Inspiron 17R can't install windows on new hard drive

I have an Inspiron 17R SE 7720 with a dead 1T HDD and the 32GB SSD. The hard drive is a total loss and out of warranty so I have to install Windows on a new hard drive.

I don't have a recovery disk so I am installing Windows 8.1 from an original DVD I ordered from Microsoft some time ago.

My problem is that the laptop doesn't seen to be able to boot from the DVD. I get a message "No Operation System Found."

I have changed the boot list in the BIOS to have DVD first. I have tried f12 to chose the DVD for booting but nothing works. I checked the disk in another computer and it is good.

I have read something about the mSATA SSD causing problems and also about the Intel Rapid Storage being a problem.

Please help if you can, I need the laptop for school.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 16th, 2016 05:00

Does (or did) the DVD drive read any other discs?

6 Posts

October 21st, 2016 02:00

Thank you for that reply. You got me going in the right direction. Both HDD and DVD were bad. Now though, I need to get back to correct settings in BIOS. I had set it to default setup and changed SATA mode to AHCi mode and removed the SSD from the mSATA socket. Do you have any advice on restoring operation of the SSD for caching? When I got it it was set as a RAID drive.

6 Posts

October 21st, 2016 02:00

I could not read any disc so I attached an external USB DVD drive. Now I can run the Windows setup.

No Events found!