Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

December 1st, 2014 18:00

Inspiron 3147 2 in 1 laptop hard disk

Hi all. I am a new Dell owner and my first  Dell laptop, and I have a question about replacing the factory direct hard disk with a faster SSD drive.

Can I simply clone the original to the new SSD drive and boot from it (assume that the software will 100% make an exact copy)?

I assume all Dell laptops have a recovery partition to restore the Windows OS to factory?  How much space does such a partition use up?  I"m thinking maybe I can just install a fresh copy of Windows 8.1 on the new drive instead of cloning it.....to save space from doing away with the recovery partition.

Thanks all.  As the subject header states, I have the Inspiron 3147 (3000 series 2 in 1 notebook)

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

December 1st, 2014 20:00

Hi Kenny88,

You can clone the hard disk to the SSD using 3rd party applications. Yes Inspiron 3147 is compatible for a SSD drive.

The Dell backup and recovery will not work on the SSD in restoring the system to factory state as it will work only on the OEM hard drive of same size and feature. Its recommended to perform fresh installation of the operating system.

6 Posts

December 2nd, 2014 03:00

Hi  Ravi:  thank you for the answer.  I didn't know that I would not be able to access the recovery partition on the  cloned disk.  Can I make the recovery disk from the recovery partition or some other way?

Thanks!

6 Posts

December 2nd, 2014 04:00

Oh wait, I won't be able to use the recovery disk anyway....Ravi already answered that. Oops.

6 Posts

Ok thanks, so if I make it from the original drive the recovery disks, would I be able to use it in the future on another hard disk of smaller or larger size?  I read that the recovery will only work if the drive is the same size as the factory original.

The factory hard disk is 500GB, and my SSD is 250GB.

Thanks

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

It can only be made from the original hard drive.

If you are under warranty, contact Dell and have a windows 8 disc sent (not the recovery media - a full windows 8 disc).

No Events found!