Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 2nd, 2014 08:00

Inspiron 3520 Screen Problems

A few days ago, I was using my DELL Inspiron 3520 laptop.  This is the first time the screen has flickered or malfunctioned in any way.  Since then it has done it a few times.  I was using the machine without any problem and the screen went black and white with all kinds of lines.  I moved the computer around and the screen went back to normal.  I am not happy about this because my laptop is only 2.5 years old.  This is my second inspiron because the first one literally fell apart on the hinges. (I know this was not my fault due to neglect because a friend had the same exact laptop and the same exact issue happened to him on the same side.)

Does anyone know why my screen might be malfunctioning?  Is there anything I can do to fix or prevent this issue from becoming any worse.  Thanks!

June 4th, 2014 07:00

Hi Jennaylynne,

Welcome to Dell Community.

Alternatively, please check in BIOS:

• Power off the computer
  • Restart the computer, tap F2 on the Dell logo
  • Once you are on the BIOS screen, check if you face the same issue

I would suggest you to run the LCD BIST. To run the LCD BIST (Built in Self-test):

• Power off the computer
  • Press and hold the D key on the keyboard while pressing the power button, then release both at the same time.
  • This will initiate a Grey screen, then Red, then Blue, then Green, then White
  • Please check for any abnormal colors, lines or pixel

I would also recommend you to run the Dell Diagnostics:

• Disconnect any external peripherals (flash drives, printers, external hard drives) from the computer
  • Then remove the adapter and the battery
  • Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds
  • Reconnect the battery and the adapter
  • Try to restart the computer and and run the diagnostics to check the hardware functionality.
  • Power off the computer -> restart the computer, press 'F12' key on the Dell logo -> Select ‘Diagnostics’ from the boot menu.
  • As far the Blue Screen of Death is concerned, you may run the Online Diagnostics. Choose Symptom-> Blue Screen Analyzer. Based upon the results of this analysis, you may choose to run the trouble-shooter to fix these errors.
No Events found!