Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 14th, 2014 16:00

Inspiron 3537 built-in mic has too many noise/static

I have Dell Inspiron 3537-6958 with Windows 8.1 and latest drivers downloaded from Dell support website.

I don't use Skype often but today friend of mine told me that she can barely hear me from all background "noise" (static). After finishing chat I tried reinstalling drivers, trying windows ones, and so on and so forth multiple times.

To avoid calling Skype sound-test bot (or whatever name is) I downloaded sound recorder.

90% of sound is just noise, I can barely hear my voice when speaking in normal tone. I tried playing with microphone boost (0%, 10%, 20%, 30%) and I cannot tell witch one is worst, DC offset cancelation also doesn't help. In Dell Audio I tried Microphone Enhancement On/Off without any luck.

Not sure what else to try. All ideas are welcome.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 15th, 2014 03:00

To avoid calling Skype sound-test bot (or whatever name is) I downloaded sound recorder.

Is it Windows Sound Recorder? That is included in Windows and is the test I would have used also. Because it failed the Sound Recorder test there is a good chance that the mic hardware has failed. Contact tech support if you are still under warranty.

A great test of hardware is to perform a system recovery. If the mic does not work immediately after a system recovery then it has definitely failed.

5 Posts

December 1st, 2014 06:00

After many drivers reinstall, playing around with sound settings and testing I somehow reduced noise to bearable levels, and now it's usable.

In short time I'm planning to do complete OS reinstallation and than I will see what will happen.

My laptop is still under warranty (for about 2.5 years) and if this problem persists after Windows reinstallation I will definitely contact support.

Thing is, I'm reluctant to contact official Dell importer for my country (Serbia), because they take long time for fixing things. Friend of mine had hard disk failure and it took 40 days for Dell importer to replace it. So you can understand that i'm not willing to be without my computer for 40 days about something small as microphone. But if this keeps annoying me I will have to.

1 Message

June 16th, 2015 16:00

Hi all,

I had the same problem and managed to fix it. Detach the plastic that is above the mic and the camera, start with pulling between the camera and the display. You can now see the mic left from the camera. In front of the mic there is some softy rubbery part, probably as some dust protection. In my case is was glued over the mic hole. I have removed it, removed excess glue from the mic, and positioned the rubber correctly, holes from mic and rubber aligned. Now the mic works perfectly.

Regards,

1 Message

July 24th, 2016 13:00

THAT WAS IT!!!!

Thank you so much for this fix. I have spent a good 3-4 hours trying different drivers, turning off windows automatic driver installation,etc. Nothing works (obviously, when it's a hardware issue as this one :-) ). 

The solution took all of 10 mins and my microphone is working perfectly again. Thanks again.

No Events found!