Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

14 Posts

August 27th, 2004 18:00

Inspiron 5100 Cooling

Ok, I thank all people at these message boards for being so helpful to my cause. Now that I've gotten my new Video card and new RAM, my computer runs too hot now though. I was wondering if anyone could point me towards a good cooling unit for my lappy. Thanx.

285 Posts

Alot of people are using the "lapcool 2" (It's either Antec or Vantec, can't remember) but most seem good.  I noticed, when recently comparing the "lapcool 2" and this cool-lookin' one from coolermaster....(can't remember the name but it came in a clear-plastic suitcase thingy...kinda' cool!)

First thing I noticed is that the Coolermaster unit was MUCH heavier.  The "lapcool 2" is extremely light.  Fan is adjustable & seems big enough to cover most laptops with maybe the exception of a giant 17" WSXGA type monster lappy.

Anyway, I didn't catch your mods, but I'll assume you put in the ATi 9000 video card & bumped another stick on your RAM which, yes, would make you run a bit warmer, but you should still be getting good cooling from the stock system.  Is it just because it's warm on your lap??  If so, a good laptop cooler will solve that.  If not & you're seeing high temps, do the blow-out thing, etc. etc. etc. 

285 Posts

Ahh.........yes UT2004 would explain it.    I know the 9000ati is a popular upgrade, but I've noticed something.....

If you look at the back of a 5100, the ventilation slots are horizontal & don't appear to be motivated by anything other than atmospheric pressure allowing hot air to escape.  However, if you look at the back of a 5100, there's a circular opening.  (I'm only assuming at this point, since I haven't looked hard at one & I only know one person with a 5150 & they live a ways away).  My assumption is that the video on 5150's is fan-cooled.  That would make for an easier environment.

Since 5100's came w/ a 7500ati cards, they didn't need the fan, but after that (i.e. 9000 & up....like the GFXgo's) they need a fan on 'em to push the heat out.  That being the case, you've put the 9000 in a pinch (so to speak) but certainly not one, that I think would do any harm.  You'll just notice frame rate slowdowns, etc.

And since that definitely appears to be the case, then yes, I'd definitely suggest a laptop cooler.  I think you could blindly by the "lapcool 2" and you'd be happy.  Just throw it underneath, plug it into the USB, turn the fan speed where you like it & enjoy.  And, just as important as the fans, I think is the fact that it puts a more precise spacing between the laptop feet and the laptop itself.  Sorry so long-winded..........it's Friday.......& that's a good thing! 

14 Posts

The main reason it gets hot is when I play the PC game, Unreal Tournament 2004 (a very graphic intensive game). I notice a very high visual decrease after playing about 10 minutes. My screen can show about 100 frames per second for aobut 15 minutes, then it can only show 15. O.o I think its getting much too hot, but I cant be sure.

14 Posts

August 27th, 2004 19:00

Thanx a lot. I'll probably go get myself one of those Lapcool 2's now. :) If you play UT2004 you'll know the inportance of having Framerates above 15, so thanx again.
No Events found!