Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

November 12th, 2009 18:00

Inspiron 5150 AC power problem - system board repair

Well I've been thinking about repairing the board for sometime now and now I've just finished it : I dis assembled all the parts according to the instruction manual to

get to the motherboard. when I did, I found out there were few AC contacts on the board need re soldering because  I could see cracks in the old solder.

I kept track of all the parts and screws,so I knew how everything would go back together again. I re assembled all just like the manual,took care of

the safety instructions like  preventing  static damage and so forth. Plugged it in and the yellow and green led lit up blinking which means it's charging and seems normal but when I push the power button it starts up by making the regular noise but after like 20 seconds it shuts down the power!! I did this 3 times and it shuts

down again. my question is: Is there any trouble shooting sequence for this kind of assembling that I can follow and figure out what went wrong? I'm just

so disappointed that don't know what's next or this is the end of it!!?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 12th, 2009 19:00

There are no AC components on a notebook mainboard - exactly what did you repair?  The AC power ends at the power brick outside. 

Did you do this properly - with a low-temperature soldering jig?  Or was it a hack job with a soldering iron?

20 Posts

November 12th, 2009 21:00

I re soldered 3 or 4 contacts of the female jack on the board where the male ac would go in. But my soldering iron is  40W .Is it too much? If so

then what do I need to do next? I also had to glue that female part on the board because it was kind of loose and for the same reason it would

disconnect frequently and it wouldn't charge the battery.Now the battery is charged after about 18hrs being on the ac adapter.

No Events found!