Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

8 Posts

November 8th, 2008 13:00

Inspiron 5160 will not boot (Doesn't get past Dell logo)

Hi all,

Was downloading the other night when the laptop froze up with no response to anything. I was left with switching it off by holding down the power button.

When I pressed the power button to boot up, the laptop only got to the 3/4 of the way through the progress bar (on the Dell logo) before it would re-boot and go through the same sequence agaon and again till it freezes up at the 3/4 point.

I try to go in to the BIOS by pressing F12 and even though it says it's preparing to go there, it never does and starts all over again just like I said above.

I've gone through the trouble shooting guide in support and nothing works.

• Removed battery and held power button down for 10 secs
  • Removed components to see if it was a heat issue (no change)
  • Try to do the (FSA i think) diagnostic and even though it was saying it was going to start, it never did and again, started all over again.

It will simply not get past the Dell start-up.

Please help. Thanks

8 Posts

November 10th, 2008 08:00

Anyone please?

6.4K Posts

November 10th, 2008 13:00

Do you get the same symptom when you are using only the battery?  I was informed some months ago that a damaged external power connector can cause this problem.  The suggested way to confirm this was to apply a gentle downward pressure on the plug at the back of the computer while booting.  If this allows your computer to boot the jack is damaged.  Replacement is a problem since it is part of the main board and requires a facility capable of dealing with multi-layer circuit boards.  Obtaining the part could also be a problem.  If you contact Dell I'm sure they will recommend replacing the main board, which is the only sure way to fix the problem.  On a computer this old I would recommend replacing it rather than trying to fix it.

If you don't get the computer to boot using the described procedure, you may have a loose component.  Try reseating the user removable components, such as the hard drive and CD/DVD drive.  I would suggest memory, but if the memory doesn't make contact you don't usually get so far in the boot process.  This model can also contain a mini-pci card for wireless and a modem.

8 Posts

November 12th, 2008 14:00

This happens also when it is just the battery so would so it's not the plug issue. I have removed all components except for the memory and HDD and re-sat them however this proves to have no effect.

I'm beginning to beleive that this may be a failure of the MB which means all I have now is an old paperweight.:emotion-6:

8 Posts

November 18th, 2008 14:00

*PARTLY SOLVED*

It now boots up in to windows, but the only way to do this is to push down on the AC adapter socket which goes in to the rear of the laptop.

How this affects it I have no idea, but would like to boot the laptop without having to puch down on the socket each time.

Any ideas?

6.4K Posts

November 18th, 2008 15:00

I'm pretty sure you're running on borrowed time.  The reason this procedure works is almost certain to be a broken fixture that hasn't completely failed.  As I stated in my earlier post, the only for sure way to fix this is to replace the main board.  If you have a competent repair shop near you it may be possible to have them mend it, but the board is multi-layer and not easy to work with.

1 Message

November 18th, 2008 19:00

Take it to a shop that can resolder the connector to the board. To replace the motherboard is very expensive and not worth it.

8 Posts

November 20th, 2008 13:00

Totally agree. This machine is getting on and compared to the newer, less expensive models out, this thing is a brink lol.

Will hold out for as long as possible before it finaly goes. Thanks.

No Events found!