Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 2nd, 2016 10:00

Inspiron 5537, Primary GPU dead

I have a Dell Inspiron 5537 and I think my primary GPU (AMD Radeon HD 8850M) is dead. I've been playing video games when it started to get hot and suddenly the screen flashed then all my games lagged like and I can't make any of them use my primary GPU, they use my Intel(R) HD Graphics Family instead. I tried to contact Dell support but it's impossible to write a singe email to them from the site and when I called them on phone I was told their phone technical support is not working now. Can anyone help me here? I'd like to have my GPU repaired or replaced and my laptop still has a guarantee at dell according to Dell SupportAssist software.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 3rd, 2016 06:00

First, the primary GPU is the Intel one - NOT the AMD.  The AMD GPU is a secondary (Co-processor) GPU.  All video data passes through the Intel GPU -- even if it has been processed by the AMD GPU.

Second:  do both GPUs show up in the device manager, and with correctly loaded drivers?

November 3rd, 2016 06:00

Hi Zel9088,

Is the graphics card detected in the device manager? Did you try to install the latest graphics card drivers from our Dell Support Site?

Please click my DELL-username and send me a Private Message with the Dell Service Tag number and your email address.

Note: please don't mention the service tag or email id on the public forum as it contains your personal information

12 Posts

November 3rd, 2016 09:00

Yes, I have the latest drivers installed and my GPUs both show up and it says they're working fine but the AMD GPU isn't working at all.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 3rd, 2016 11:00

What are you using to verify your claim that the AMD GPU isn't working?  You cannot simply look at what Windows tells you -- since the Intel GPU is the only one that has a connection to the display screen.

There are tools such as GPU-Z that will tell you - but Windows itself cannot (and will not).

Is the system running any hotter than it has in the past?

12 Posts

November 3rd, 2016 12:00

GPU-Z tells me it's working. Lagging games tell me it's not.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 3rd, 2016 13:00

If the system is running warm, you may want to give it a thorough clean out of all dust -- just a little can raise the temperature a few degrees, leading to significant slowdowns in operation.

It sounds like there's nothing wrong with the hardware or drivers otherwise.

In other words it's the heat that causes the problem - not a hardware failure.

12 Posts

November 3rd, 2016 14:00

Already gave it a clean out so no dust in there to cause extra heat.

12 Posts

November 7th, 2016 23:00

Anyone at Dell willing to help me or should just I dump your product and buy one from another company? This is getting ridiculous.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 8th, 2016 03:00

If the system is not clearly overheating, you may want to try a factory reset of the operating system.  

If the system IS still running too hot, it may be a faulty fan, temperature sensor or dried out thermal pads.  Run a full system diagnostics (F12 at powerup) to check the fan and temperature sensor.

12 Posts

November 8th, 2016 05:00

Since the AMD GPU doesn't work the system is not hot anymore. Even when it was the fan was working correctly. It's not doing anything anymore. AMD settings says I have no screens connected to AMD card.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 8th, 2016 06:00

If it's true the AMD GPU is no longer functioning (and the settings reporting there are no screens attached to an AMD GPU is NOT definitive, since as I posted earlier, it's that way by design), the only solution is a replacement mainboard.

There is NO physical connection between the AMD GPU and the screen.  Once the AMD GPU does its work, the output is processed through the on-GPU GPU, which IS attached to the screen.   This is how a mux-less software controlled hybrid video system works.

Since you've reported the AMD GPU does show up in the control panel -- and it is reported by GPU-z, the GPU is indeed working as designed.  Either the game settings have changed, or something is wrong with the driver installation (though if both show up in the control panel AND the AMD control panel does detect the CPU), it's more likely something with the game settings than the drivers.

If the AMD GPU has failed, it will simply disappear from the control panel and as an option in the context menu for your programs.  If that has happened, replace the mainboard.  If it has not, look for another source -- the game settings being the primary suspect.

12 Posts

November 8th, 2016 09:00

Does it mean I can get it fixed with warranty? Dell Support Assist says it lasts until december 2016.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

Yes, assuming there is a hardware failure.  You'll need to call and walk through troubleshooting with the technician.  This will no doubt include a factory reset of the system, so you may want to take the time to do that before you call -- it will save you time on the phone.

12 Posts

What about my data? Will factory reset erase it? Never did it before.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 8th, 2016 10:00

There is the option not to remove your data files, but you will lose all installed applications - those will need to be reinstalled.  And if you don't have a backup that's kept off the system, you're asking for trouble -- you're one crash away from losing everything.

No Events found!