Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

September 8th, 2015 21:00

Inspiron 5547 & Windows 10: close cover, touchpad stays disabled after re-opening

I have an Inspiron 5547 laptop bought recently and upgraded to Windows 10 (clean install) three weeks ago (Windows 8 and Windows 10 drivers from Dell support site installed as directed). Power set to stay awake when cover is closed (no suspend, no hibernate). No external mouse or monitor.

When the cover is closed, a Windows noise is heard and a notification says the touchpad has been disabled (if I quickly open the cover I can read the notification).

PROBLEM: More than half the time, when I later re-open the cover, the touchpad STAYS disabled and I need to put it to sleep and wake it up to re-enable the touchpad (and get the enabled notification). But putting the system to sleep causes my network connected applications to disconnect.

How do I fix this so that it properly re-enabled the touchpad when the cover is opened?

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

September 8th, 2015 21:00

Hi Travesty,

I would suggest you to update the BIOS and Video card driver on the system. Please enter your service tag # on the link below, select the OS, then download the BIOS from BIOS section and Video card driver from Video section onto the system and install it.

http://dell.to/18r60nI

Please let me know if this helps.

3 Posts

September 9th, 2015 01:00

I already had the latest BIOS (A8), but I overwrote it again. I uninstalled the current video driver then installed the latest Dell support download after the reboot. Intel HD graphics.

Same problem occurs; no change.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

September 11th, 2015 11:00

Hi Travesty,

I’d advise that you load defaults in the BIOS and check for issue resolution. Please follow the steps mentioned below to load the BIOS to defaults.

1. Reboot the computer.

2. When prompted during POST, press the key to enter the setup screen.

3. On the System Setup screen, press the key.

4. Press the key on Yes to Load Optimized Defaults and restart the computer.

3 Posts

September 15th, 2015 20:00

I did as directed and reset the BIOS to defaults, but the issue still occurs.

67 Posts

December 3rd, 2015 11:00

Does this still happen to you? This is happening for me too and I'm looking for a solution.

Thanks,

Mike

1 Message

January 3rd, 2016 20:00

Hello all,

I had this same problem on a Dell 5547 since I updated to Windows 10. I think the problem is with the touchpad driver. Both versions 19.0.9.4 from Dell and the autoupdate driver version 19.0.15.2 from Microsoft.

The Windows 8.1 driver works but you will not have some specific Windows 10 gestures, which in my opinion is not that critical.

Things to try:

A. If you are lucky, you might still have the old Windows 8.1 driver installed. Then it's just a matter of re-using the older driver.

Note: You might need to connect an external mouse for the steps below if your touchpad is not currently working. You can use the touchscreen if you have it or navigate using the keyboard if you know how to accomplish the tasks below without a pointing device.

1. Press Win + X.

2. Press the letter to open "Device Manager".

3. In the Device Manager window, expand "Mouse and other pointing devices".

4. Double-click on [Dell Touchpad].

5. In the "Dell Touchpad Properties" window, select the "Driver" tab.

6. Click [Update Driver]. FYI, do not use [Roll back driver] because for some reason Windows will update it again later.

7. Click [Browse my computer for driver software].

8. Click [Let me pick from ....].

9. Click "Dell Touchpad Version: 18.0.5.4 [1/16/2014]". If this is available, then you are in luck.

10. Click [Next]

11. Click [Close] and reboot.

Hopefully, it will work. :-)

B. If Step A didn't work, try this loooooong method.

1. Goto "Programs and Features" and uninstall "Dell Touchpad"

2. Download and install the Windows 8.1 driver at www.dell.com/.../advanced

3. Reboot.

4. Your touchpad will work for now until Windows updates it. LOL! You can force the update by pressing the [Windows Key] and typing "Check for Updates", press

5. Click [Check for updates] and click [Install]. You need to reboot for the installation to occur.

6. Do Step A.

C. There is another method to make the latest version to work but it involves disabling and reenabling the driver every time the touchpad stops working.

1. Download www.nirsoft.net/.../device_manager_view.html

2. Create a shortcut to DevManView.exe.

3. Edit the properties of the shortcut and add "/disable_enable "Dell Touchpad" at the end of DevManView.exe. (ie. DevManView.exe /disable_enable "Dell Touchpad" )

4. Add a "Shortcut Key".

5. Put the shortcut in your "Start Menu" folder.

6. Now every time your touchpad go bonkers, just press the shortcut key combination you created in step C4.

Happy New Year!!! Cheers!

No Events found!