Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

April 17th, 2017 17:00

Inspiron 5555 - Failed ROM update

Last week I tried to update the BIOS of an Inspiron 5555, from A08 to A12, using the file in the dell site. When I executed the file it started well but then freezed, and some minutes after I tried to reset the machine but it didn't start.

I have tried several procedures to recover from a failed update. I tried to extract the hdr and the rom files from the exe file, but on the two cases it resulted in the same file with different extension (I used the /writeromfile and /writehdrfile switches of the exe file).

Some said that I have to put the rom and/or hdr file(s) in a USB and do the BIOS recover procedure:

1. detach battery and power cord,
  2. connect the USB,
  3. push the END button and
  4. while pushing it connect the power cord

With this procedure, and only when the USB is connected in the USB connector in the same side of the power cord plug, the laptop went always on, with the fans at full speed, and the USB light seemed to indicate some reading as it flashed for some seconds, but without recovery.

By reading some posts, it seems that the naming of the rom/hdr files is important, and they recommend using some file (Andy's Phoenix Tool) which gives the name to be used for the recovery file. But in the case of this laptop it gives no name.

Others said that we can know the name of the file by looking in to the motherboard and see the model (AAL12 LA-C142P for this laptop, which I found under one of the DIMMS) and so I renamed the files AAL12A12 when I tried with the new bios or AAL12A08 when I tried with the original one, with no success.

In another post for the same problem with the same laptop/bios update, a user called whtabtxps claimed that dell support provided him with a crisis zip with two hdr files which he used for a full recovery.

I am out of warranty, but if Dell has the files I think they should be provided freely in the same fashion that the bios update files.  Does someone here has those files or know how to get them ?

10 Posts

May 7th, 2017 15:00

Finally!

As I told in the precedent post, I found two header files in the bios update exe file, which I extracted and I used a new utility UEFI Tool to inspect them.

I found that the first one expects the name AAL12.hdr while the second one expects AAL13.hdr, so I put them in a Fat32 formatted USB along with copies of the same files with A08 as a suffix for good measure (AAL12A08.hdr and AAL13A08.hdr).

First I tried in the USB connector in the left side (the same side as the power input) with no success but then I connected to one on the right side, I started the laptop with the recovery procedure (no battery, pushing the end key and connecting the power), and the USB started flashing with a different pattern. There was no other signal that something different happened, but after some minutes (less than five) the laptop shutdown itself.

This have never happened, so I had my hopes up, I disconnected the USB and started the laptop and the dell logo, appeared...

Success!!!

I just want to note that I used the A08 version of the BIOS as this was the original one in the laptop.

As for Dell,  I find it hard to understand why they don't publish the exact recovery procedure for each of their models. Not even, it seems, to their support personal for them to be able to give appropriate help.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

April 18th, 2017 11:00

I can find no record of the file "CRISDISK.ZIP" on our File Library. It appears to be the Phoenix BIOS Recovery. I have no idea how to use it or even if your system uses a Phoenix BIOS. If still no go, you are looking at replacing the motherboard. There are 15, each tied to the purchased operating system and CPU.

10 Posts

April 18th, 2017 11:00

No, the laptop doesn't have a Phoenix bios, it has an Insyde one.

But, the recovery procedure, though undocumented, is known, and the system tries to read the USB but I think the problem is in the naming of the files. And, as I stated, there's one user who claims to have received a file with two header files (hdr).

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

April 19th, 2017 06:00

I have no idea about what they sent him. I do not see any reference to them internally so makes me wonder where the files originated. You will need to private message that user and ask for the files.

10 Posts

April 19th, 2017 07:00

Thanks for your responses. I tried to sent a private message but the message form doesn't work for me, every time I write the name of the user (whtabtxps) I have a "No matches were found" message and the textbox empties. I tried with my username and others with the same results. I even tried in all the browsers I have installed (Firefox, Chrome and Edge) to eliminate compatibility problems, to no avail.

10 Posts

May 6th, 2017 14:00

After two more weeks of searching for a solution and analyzing the BIOS files these is what I've found:

1. Opening a bios file, regardless of the version, with an utility called AMIUCP (AMI Utility Configuration Program) shows the existence of two different BIOS files in the exe, and only the first one is exported with the /writehdrfile or /writeromfile (which, by the way, produces the same file with different extension).
  2. In one discussion at AnandTech, someone said that for the Inspiron 5X55 the bios updates files contains "multiple" images to address different APU models for the same platform (Carrizo-L, Carrizo). Here is the link.
  3. I guess that the two header files that the user whtabtxps talks corresponds to these two images in the update file, the problem is, then, their names to be recognized by the BIOS recovery procedure.
  4. This user hasn't respond my friend invitation and he doesn't seem to have any activity since he solved his problem, which, of course, it's understandable.

This are the facts, I would appreciate that someone at Dell who knows this, the naming of the bios files, contact me or post here the names.

1 Message

May 23rd, 2017 15:00

ediaz1963

Please tell me how did you extract the bios update exe file to 2 hdr file by using AMIUCP?

10 Posts

May 23rd, 2017 18:00

Take a look at the attached image.

November 10th, 2017 10:00

I followed your steps but doesn't work. USB flashed a few times but nothing  happens after that.

I have 2 USB slots on my right side. Which one did you use ?

10 Posts

November 11th, 2017 07:00

I can't remember exactly, you should try both.

You should try also to format the USB in FAT if you're using FAT32 or in FAT32 if you're using FAT. I used FAT32 for my recovery but someone else had to use FAT. I think it depends on the USB stick.

December 22nd, 2017 07:00

Could you stop the tool for extracting the .hdr file? I have this same problem and I can not find the files, it would be useful for me to help with the tool or the files, thanks!

10 Posts

December 23rd, 2017 08:00

I do not know if it is allowed, or legal, to post files here. Send me a private message and we can see where I can help you.

September 21st, 2023 15:17

@ediaz1963​ How exactly did you look for the names? 

No Events found!