Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 8th, 2015 00:00

Inspiron 5749: BIOS update fails with the error "Dell id does not match"

Hello,

I'm trying to update BIOS in Inspiron 5749 laptop. I downloaded the update file 3443A07.EXE from Dell support web-site, where the update is said to be compatible with my system:

- Dell Inspiron 3443/3543/5749 System BIOS;

- Version A07;

- Release date 18 Nov 2015.

I tried to install the update using BIOS update utility available in boot menu (after pressing F12). The update failed with the error message "Dell id does not match" or similar.

Running the update from Windows session doesn't seem to have any effect either.

It seems that the update is only compatible with Inspiron 3443.

Where can I get the proper BIOS update for my laptop? Any help is appreciated.

3 Posts

January 27th, 2016 11:00

The problem was resolved by replacing a motherboard. Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

December 8th, 2015 12:00

I doublechecked and 3443A07.EXE is the correct version for the 5749.  What is the state of the system now, will it start, is the problem only with running the one update?

This is pretty basic and you probably already know but if not for future reference make sure that you back up the system before attempting an BIOS update,  make sure that you have both the battery and AC adapter connected when attempting to flash.

I will be sending you a friends request in the possibility that a service may be required, please accept it.

TB

3 Posts

December 9th, 2015 03:00

Hi Terry,

The system is in a working state. The problem is with installing the update. No matter which way I'm trying to install it, the BIOS still reports that it's of version "A01, 11/4/2014" after reboot. So far I tried installing the update by:

1. running the downloaded executable from Windows directly;

2. running it from bootable dos usb stick;

3. using Dell GSet BIOS Flash Update utility (F12 in boot menu), which is showing me the error message "Dell ID is not matched" at the end of installation.

When installing the update, I have both battery and AC adapter connected.

Also, I have an issue with WiFi, which isn't working. Windows troubleshooting reports that WiFi module is turned off. Yes, I'm aware of a WiFi switch, which is a combination of the "Fn"+"PrtScr" for Inspiron 5749 and I have tried other tricks I found on this web-site, but with no avail. I was hoping to find an option in BIOS which controlled the WiFi, but it's not there. At least it's not in the current version I have on my system. That's why I'm trying to update it.

If nothing else works, I'll probably try to send my laptop for warranty service.

v1t

January 29th, 2016 09:00

having same problem with 5110  window  7 says bios not supported

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

January 29th, 2016 10:00

That error means you're trying to flash the wrong BIOS - which BIOS version?  And is it an N5110?

1 Message

March 30th, 2016 09:00

I have the same problem. Both running from freedos disk as from the option in the boot menu fails with the message dell system id not matched. I double checked I have downloaded the bios matching my system, also tried an older version from the download page but the message is still the same.

The laptop is a dell insprion 3452 that came with ubuntu.

No Events found!